Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Celtic Wolf cornbread

Haggis
Haggis Posts: 998
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What a cruddy Christmas this was. First a friend sends us Omaha Steak filet mignon (their website says these are supposed to be "about" 1.75 inches thick but none exceeds 1.25") and then I didn't receive a single gift for use with my Eggs. I made up for it, though, by making Celtic Wolf's cornbread and it turned out terrific - my daughter walked in the door after having had breakfast at her place and immediately ate several pieces. Even my wife complimented me (as with other spouses, she's gotten rather complacent about food from the Egg.) [p]Thanks, CW - you saved the holiday! Now on to the tenderloin . . .

Comments

• Haggis, can we get a recipe on that or a link? thanks!

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    buttburner,[p]To give additional credit for this - I modified this from Keri C's cornbread recipe.[p] Cornbread [p]1 1/2 cups plain cornmeal
    1/2 cup flour
    1 Tablespoon baking powder
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup Sugar (I use Splenda) Use less if you want it less sweet.
    3/4 cup milk
    3/4 cup Sweet Buttermilk
    1/2 cup vegetable oil
    2 large eggs[p]Preheat Egg for indirect at 400 degrees.
    Once Egg is stable preheat 5qt. Dutch Oven.[p]Blend dry ingredients in large bowl. Blend milk, oil, and eggs, and add to dry ingredients. Blend till all is combined.[p]Use a small amount of Crisco or bacon grease (say about 1/4 tsp or so) into dutch oven or baking pan, brushing it to cover all surfaces well. Place back in Egg for a few minutes - you want the Dutch Oven hot. [p]Remove Dutch Oven from egg and pour mixture into the hot dutch oven or pan. [p]Bake covered at 400 until golden brown on the top, about 20-30 minutes. Fork should go in and out clean.[p]

• Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Celtic Wolf,[p]Thank Peter! [p]By the way, I made mine in a 10 qt Lodge oven and it came out a bit more than one inch thick. I was able to run a fork around the edges and a silicon spatula underneath everything but the very center, then put a plate on top of the bread and turn it over followed by putting it right-side-up on another plate. I lost a bit of the crust in the middle where I couldn't pre-loosen it with the spatula.