Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need Fattie help

East Bay Al
East Bay Al Posts: 101
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Good morning all- I've lit my BGE and set out a J Dean Maple sausage and now can't find the notes I made from various board posts. This is my first try. I think I remember that I should dust with a rub, then smoke 3 hours at 250 dome, till 170 internal? Is there a way to speed this up a bit?[p]Any help/ tips/ suggestions are welcome and will be filed carefully!
Thanks in advance
Al

Comments

• East Bay Al,
    that's how i do em. and indirect with plate setter and drip pan.[p]why do you need to speed it up? take the dome to 300 if you need to. [p]you can't speed up good bbq. it's done when it's done.

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    East Bay Al,
    <a href= "http://www.wessb.com/Cooks/fatty/fattys.htm">Wessb's</a&gt; is the one i usually follow.[p]
    happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• East Bay Al,[p]Thirdeye has a good reference to start.[p]Mike
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Collage-Fatties.jpg
    <p />East Bay Al,[p]You don't want to "speed up" a fatty too much. Once you see the amount of fats that renders out, and taste the developed flavor, you will understand why they are worth the wait. The only thing I can add to your recollection is to place them cross ways to the direction of the bars on your grate or on a screen AND once they are up to 170°, remove and wrap in foil for 1 hour to let them rest.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery

• Thank you Rick, Wayne, Mike and Bente- I saved the links and copied notes. I was thinking direct, and didnt remember about wrapping and standing at all, so you guys saved lunch. It was going to be breakfast, but a four hour process pushes it back a bit. As Rick said, you cant rush good BBQ.
    Thanks guys.
    Al

• Ron_L
    Ron_L Posts: 163
    thirdeye,
    Wow! A fatty montage! I think I just had a foodgasm! :)[p]If you really want to you can safely pull the fatty at 160 internal and then rest. I usually go to 165 and foil and rest for an hour.