Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2 quick prime rib questions

Options
BamaEGG
BamaEGG Posts: 170
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Help me out guys. I am getting ready to do my first prime rib. I've searched the archives and can't make up my mind. Two questions.[p]1. Sear first or reverse? Is the sear done without the platesetter?[p]2. estimated cook time for a bone in 5 lb prime rib?[p]Thanks for the help

Comments

• East Cobb Eggy
    Options
    BamaEGG,[p]First as far as searing, you can not really do this with a placesetter. The whole point of searing is to keep the juices in by searing at a high temperature. This in itself says direct.[p]By the way when cooking at 600 degrees plus to sear, do not forget about the potential flashback.[p]Greg
  • BamaEGG,[p]High temp sears are slways without the plate setter, it diffuses the heat. Here is a link that should help.
    [ul][li]http://www.nakedwhiz.com/madmaxprimerib.htm[/ul]
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    BamaEGG,[p]1. Either way works fine. I prefer to sear mine first. Without the platesetter. [p]2. I would estimate 1:45 to 2:00 including sear time and rest time between searing and roasting while you let the temp come down. This is roasting it at 300*. Time may vary depending on your desired level of doneness. I pull mine at 127-128 internal.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    BamaEGG,
    although you can't truly sear (as in, on the grill) wwith a platesetter in the way, you can certainly start low, then (at the end) raise the dome temp to 500 in order to develop a crust. This is what's done in a conventional oven. You can also roast high first, then back temps down, but that's harder in the egg.[p]contrary to popular opinion, searing doesn't seal any thing in (or out), but it DOES develop the carmelized sugars, which is what you are really after.[p]searing on the grate will add grill marks. simply oven roasting at high temp (at the beginning or end) will give you a crust, though without grill marks.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    stike,[p]I agree with all 3 points, especially the difficulty of ramping down the pit temp if the sear is done first. Since I cook mine at 225° to 250°, that would take a long time.[p]Regarding the carmelization, I believe the end sear to produce a better one because the proteins and sugars rise to the surface during the roasting, then reduce somewhat themselves. They sort of set the table for a nice end sear.[p]Lastly, after reading the posts about assisted browning today, I may try fishlessman's advice and use a weed burner for my end sear. Heheee. "Okay everybody....back-off and give me some elbow room! I'm ready to add some color to this prime rib".....[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • thirdeye,
    huh? takes exactly 20 minutes to go from a searing temp of 700 to 350. i did it last saturday and do it every trex steak method.

• thirdeye
    Options
    Rick's Tropical Delight,[p]But bro, I cook mine at 225°, so I guess that would be another 10 or 15 minutes....? [p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• thirdeye,
    i reckon. your results may vary.[p]all i know is when i sear at 700 for 90 to 120 seconds a side with the dome open, then shut it down for 20 minutes, i'm down to 350. maybe my eggs just give up the heat better?[p]

• thirdeye
    Options
    63f24b9f.jpg
    <p />Rick's Tropical Delight,[p]Sometime when you feel like experimenting....Try a very raised direct prime rib with no sear before or after, cooked at 225°.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Richard Fl,
    Better take a closer look at that link, sure looks like a plate setter under that roast. -RP

• AZRP,[p]Good eyes. I sear without a plate setter. The pictures are in Mad Max's link on The Naked Wizard and he does the plate setter at 500F.

• thirdeye,
    okie dokie[p]i had a long post typed up and sent it. didn't work. strange.[p]can only mean one thing... time for me to do something else.[p]later, mon

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Rick's Tropical Delight,
    some folks linger at 700 a bit too long, and by then, they begots a too-warm egg. takes longer then to 'cool' to 250-300ish.[p]yer a pro. you get up to temp and back down pretty quickly.[p]lots folks can take off and land a plane. not everyone can do it on a short landing strip!

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • BamaEGG,
    I just did my first Prime Rib. Turned out great. Seared on outside, nice and pink throughout inside. I followed MM technique. 500 degrees with platesetter, dropped down to 325 (about 20 min), , pulled at 125, .cooked for ~16min per lb[p]TV