Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Brisket Results

Options
RajunCajun
RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Good Morning!![p]I decided to cook an "experimental" brisket this past Tuesday. My main objective was to try out my new DigiQ on a longgg low n slow cook. Here are the details:[p]1) Started with a 7lb brisket
2) Set the grid temp to 200deg and the internal meat temp to 190deg. Also turned on the RAMP mode (which should have kicked in at ~160 deg)
3) The brisket went on at 9pm and when I awakened the following morning the temp was very stable at 200deg. The dome temp was ~250deg
4) The internal temp seemed to plateau at ~155deg and remained there for ~3 hours
5) I noticed that the dome temp had dropped to ~210deg
6) Kicked up the grid temp to 225deg
7) As the internal meat temp crossed the 160deg mark, the ramp mode never engaged
8) At 22 hours of cook time, the DigiQ said the internal temp was 174deg. My thermapen said it was more like 185deg.
9) Trusting my thermapen, I pulled the brisket, wrapped it in foil and put it in an ice chest for 2 hours.
10) Result: Very moist brisket....and my wife considered my experiment a success.[p]Thanks to everyone in the forum for the great suggestions and ideas.[p]RajunCajun

The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    RajunCajun,[p]It sounds like the Ramp Mode did kick in. When it sensed the 155°-160°, it ramped down the pit temp down. It was trying to keep a low enough pit temp that the meat would not ever go over 190°.[p]It sounds like the brisket came out fine. I pull a lot of them in the high 180°'s to mid-190°'s.[p]~thirdeye~
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • JD McGee
    JD McGee Posts: 250
    Options
    RajunCajun,[p]Congrats RC...now all we need are pics. :)[p]JD
    Wine Country "Q" Competition BBQ Team Pacific Northwest BBQ Association's 2011 "Team Of The Year" www.winecountryq.com