Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Turkey good... but not great

Options
Chris
Chris Posts: 148
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and a little over a month into egging. I've done butts, pizzas, wings, burgers, etc. and they've all been fantastic. BUT, for the big day this year I did two 12lb turkeys on my XL. I used a basic seasoned salt and seasoned pepper rub on one, and dizzy dust on the other, both rubbed 24hrs in advance. I cooked at 250 for 5 hours with about 3 chunks (2"x2") of mesquite. They both were OK, but a little dry and not real smoky. My dad has traditionally done a smoked turkey in a charcoal water smoker (cooks overnight), and that has always been my yardstick for turkey (his are outstanding). I know everyone is espousing the mad max method, but for smoked turkey... where did I go wrong? My dad thinks that cooking longer (my internal temps were spot on) would make it more tender, but i think he's just unfamiliar with the egg's capabilities, and is comparing it to cooking with the water smoker. Should I lower the temp and do a longer cook, or use more wood chunks... any advice is appreciated. Thanks!!

Comments