Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boneless chuck roast help.

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Can anyone advise as to how long to smoke a 9.3 pound boneless chuck roast and at what temp?
I need to get it started ASAP.Do you think that it will be tender with a good flavor?
Thanks.
Dale

Comments

• Ron_L
    Ron_L Posts: 163
    Options
    Dale Benton,
    I cook it like a brisket, 225 - 250, indirect until the internal temp is 195 - 200. I'd guess 1 1/2 hours per pound but it depends on the cut of meat. I generally either chop them or shred them for sammies. If you wanted to slice it then don't cook it as far. Maybe 180 internal but I've never done one that way. I'm going to buy a couple later today to cook tomorrow. I have a hard time finding large chuckies around here so i usually cook two or three smaller ones (3 - 4 lbs).[p]...ron (Smokin' In The Suburbs!)

• billt
    billt Posts: 225
    Options
    Dale Benton,
    i cannot answer all your ?'s but. i do a lot of smaller chucks, but they are prime and well marbled and look more like big ribeyes. i just cook them at 350 direct to 115 pull off wrap with foil for 20 and slice like rare steak.
    at that size i would lower the temp and do indirect. if your hunk o meat is not fatty i would worry that it will be dry and tough. i use hickory on beef it always tastes good. maybe a wrap with sauce toward the end will help keep it moist. i hope someone that really knows is around for you soon, good luck

• BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Options
    Dale Benton,
    You could cook it like a pot roast. Once you have the color and the crust on the roast throw in a dutch oven. Add some beef consumme, carrot, onions, taters, and mushrooms. Cook till the meat is fork tender and all the veggies are done. Good luck, Tom

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC03944a.jpg
    <p />Bajatom,[p]Yeah, what he said...[p]~t~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery