Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Will 2 turkeys fit on an XL?

Options
Woodbutcher
Woodbutcher Posts: 1,017
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The BGE site claims that 2-20lb turkeys will fit on an XL. Has anyone done it? I'm going to try Mad Max's method but I don't think 2 roasting pans will fit. I think 2 will fit on the grid but not in pans. Maybe I can find a monster roaster that fits 2 birds.

Comments

• Rollocks
    Rollocks Posts: 570
    Options
    Woodbutcher,[p]2 - 20 lbs turkeys would be a tight fight. You would probably have to place the plate setter between the fire ring and the firebox. Then I would use something to raise the drip pans up off the plate setter. I've cut some fireplace bricks into smaller pieces to accomplish this. Also if you use disposable drip pans you can bend then in order to get them to fit in the egg. Also you will want to use a rack to raise the turkeys in the drip pans. [p]

• Woodbutcher
    Options
    Rollocks,
    Thanks. I didn't think about disposable bendable pans. Good idea! Maybe I'll just fire up the medium too and cook one on it. I really want to try 2 on the XL though.

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    Woodbutcher,
    I did a 23 pounder and a 21 pounder on my Xl last year. I had room for some sweet taters around the edges to boot.

• Rollocks
    Rollocks Posts: 570
    Options
    Bobby-Q,[p]Did you have to place the platesetter between the firering and firebowl? If you have pictures of your setup, please post them. I'd like to try on my XL but would hate it if I couldn't get them to fit.[p]Rollocks
  • Woodbutcher,[p]You might also think 4 smaller T-birds. I find them better eating. Here's a thought, Wal-mart has cheap stainless steel Beer can chicken stands. They make great vertical bird roasters without a can. Four 10-12 Pounders sitting up over two half pans would be an impressive sight.[p]2 disposable half pans or one disposable full pan (higher sides than half pans) will fit in the XL.If you can find the third pan size one will take up the rest of the space. [p]Konrad

• Woodbutcher
    Options
    Bobby-Q,
    Alright! I'm going to give it a try.

• Woodbutcher
    Options
    Konrad,
    Hmmm, that would be a good picture!

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    Rollocks,
    I put the PS between the firebox and the fire ring with the legs down.[p]I then actually used a custom pan I had made for the BBQ trailer but it fits easily in the XL and the turkeys fit easily in it.