Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Turkey

TulsaMurph
TulsaMurph Posts: 131
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am looking for the best way to smoke a turkey. I tried Mad Max's method last year and loved it, but I want to smoke one and end up with smoked turkey like (or better than) what you get at a barbeque restaurant. I would assume you basically cook it at 250­° until the internal temp reaches 170° or so, but advice would be welcome. We will have about 50 for Thanksgiving this year, so I might smoke one and Mad Max another.[p]Thanks!
John

Comments

• TulsaMurph,[p]In order to get real smoked turkey you need to smoke low and slow with a lot of smoke. Egg temp about 200 to 225 with about 3 hours of hard wood smoke (apple or cherry). Pull when internal temp reaches 170° [p]My family does not like real smoked turkey so I don't do turkey that way.[p]Bon Appétit!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    TulsaMurph,
    been a long time since ive done one, i like them smoked but roasted more, low and slow works fine too, good flavor but a little rubbery/ sticky texture, very moist and tender. 225 for a long time kicking it up to as high as 350 towards the end to time things. ive set them up at 5 in the morning at 200 grate temp and finished them off at 300 plus at 9 at night, you might want to cook one ahead of time as i never have shot for a certain given dinner time with another bird cooking at the same time. i would use a water pan for this cook, skin on these is bad, chewy rubbery and bitter from the smoke. i use pecan pellets for turkey

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • So should I just keep adding new wood chips to a charcoal fire, or should I try to get wood chunks in lieu of charcoal? Skin on or off? I thought about trying the method on a chicken this weekend to see how it works out. I plan to make one ahead of time and re-heat, then the other should come off just an hour or two before serving.[p]Thanks to you both for the tips!
  • TulsaMurph,
    250*, apple chips mixed all through the lump, about 1 hour per pound.

• Michael B,
    Thanks! Skin on or off?[p]Happy Thanksgiving to all,
    John

• TulsaMurph,
    On, but it won't be good to eat unless you make the changes at the end to crisp it up.