Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Slo Chicken

Options
Flashback Bob
Flashback Bob Posts: 519
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I tried a friend's method of cooking Chicken low and slow, It came out good!
SloChicken.jpg
I Brushed the 6.5lb chicken with EVOO and dusted with STT. set it in the Stoneware vertical roaster, 250, direct and left it for 5 hours. When I checked at 5, the thigh was in the 170's so I cranked it to 350 for another half-hour to try to crisp up the skin while the cook finished. [p]Meat was delicious and moist ( even my critical wife liked it) and the skin was better, but not crispy enough. I could eat the skin off this bird (which I usually can't on my egged chickens), but it was still tough. Next time I will try to crank it up earlier.[p]Those foiled things are (2) huge sweet potatoes. I left them on the whole time and then some with more heat at the end. I didn't cook them long enough but they were good enough.

Comments

• SmokinGuitarPlayer
    Options
    Flashback Bob,
    We cook chicken probably 4 days a week at the store to give to customers and sometimes it sits there for HOURS and I've notice that you can really overcook it and it stays moist AND the skin gets crispier when you cook it to a higher internal temp. I've been experimenting and I now take the breast to 175 or 180 with no loss of juices etc. .. I really like my chicken falling off the bone so this is perfect for my taste (longer cooked)

Fred A. Bernardo , owner of Tasty Licks BBQ Supply in Shillington, Pa. 
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    SmokinGuitarPlayer,
    I take my leg quarters to 190-200 and they are as moist as you could want. -RP

• Avocados
    Avocados Posts: 465
    Options
    I usually do a similar thing with wings.[p]Slow smoke them at around 220 for several hours, then sauce them and cook direct at about 600 degrees for just a few minutes to crisp the skin and carmalize the sauce.[p]Also like to do bone in, skin on, breasts the same way.[p]They stay very moist and flavorful inside with a crispy exterior.[p]This week I was planning to try the same thing with a whole, beer can chicken or two.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Flashback Bob,
    foiled potatoes? are you daft?[p]by the way. the patriots beat the redskins by 98 points or something, and i think the boston baseball team (what are they called again) did well tonight also.[p]i remember when a brown paper bag was the standard headwear or the boston sports fan. enjoy it, as it may be brief!

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Flashback Bob,
    You might try air drying the bird for 24 hours in the fridge before Eggen it. I also coat with EVOO or butter after drying.[p]Regards,
    Bordllo