Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Test turkey and cook times?

Options
AuntieEgger
AuntieEgger Posts: 258
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I’m doing a small turkey tomorrow as a pretest for the Xmas turkey and am wondering how long it will take to cook @ 325 dome. The turkey is 91/2 lbs.
I understand it may be cooked early but I want to try to have everything cooked so it’s all done and ready to eat at the same time as far as veggies and that goes.[p]Any help with cooking times would be appreciated [p]AuntieEgger

Comments

• eggbasket
    eggbasket Posts: 111
    Options
    AuntieEgger,
    I just looked this over and found this link helpful. [p]Recently Rick's Trop. Delight posted this with a pic of his turkey breast, which would be different because of the missing bones but a good fyi.
    "usually smoke them at about 260-280 dome. a 10 pounder takes about 4:30." [p]We will be doing our first turkey soon also.
    Good luck,
    C

[ul][li]http://www.nakedwhiz.com/madmaxturkey.htm[/ul]
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    AuntieEgger,
    if you are at 325 dome, then you are only running around 300 or less at the grid. ...go for closer to 350 at the dome. .. .then figure about 15 minute per pound for it to be done (assuming you aren't putting stuffing in it) ...[p]i usually want my turkey done at least an hour, sometimes 2 (if its really big) prior to dinner time. .. .simply tent it up, it will stay warm for a while, that way you can make the gravy and mashed potatos. ..its much more important for them to be hot than the turkey. ..

• AuntieEgger
    Options
    eggbasket,
    Thank you for the URL awesome great tips especially the ice on the breast. I’m now in the process of making an ice bag.[p]AuntieEgger

• AuntieEgger
    Options
    Ok I’ll do 350 dome. Thank you for the info.
    No stuffing in the bird so it should take about 2 hrs and 25 min’s on the egg. So I will hook the thermo up to it to keep a check on the temps in the last hour of the cook and will tent it when it’s done. [p]And I have to remember to take a pic too [p]Thanks mad max beyond eggdome[p]AuntieEgger [p]

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    AuntieEgger,
    don't forget the ice bag on the breasts!! (the turkey's, not yours :-)