Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Little help

Eggoholic
Eggoholic Posts: 90
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I put 2 10lb port butts on last night at 10pm, planned on taking them off around 3-4pm today. Egg stayed at 250 all night but woke up this moring and butts are at 191. Should i just drop the temp of the egg, or should i pull butts and wrap them till we eat tonight?
Thanks! Sven

Comments

• dbishop
    dbishop Posts: 34
    Sven,
    They cooked really quick. Check your meat probe and make sure it is not in a fat pocket. Have you checked your therm. to make sure its correct? If these two things check out I would pull it at 200 deg and wrap it.
    DB

• dbishop,
    thanks. I'll go try a digital thermometer in a few more spots to see it consistent

• Sven,
    In future, I'd recommend a wireless meat thermometer that could have woken you up and alarm you of your pork temp(available for under 40 bucks at your local Lowes. I would also double check that your thermometer is not touching a bone.[p]Did you use that new cast iron grate you bought at eggfest? If so, that might be your problemo. Feel free to call the Metro Master for personal advice on his mobile.

• EddieMac
    EddieMac Posts: 423
    At this point, Take them off when they get to 195 to 200 internal meat temp...Then put them in a pan with loose piece of foil over.....let them cool naturally....refrigerate...then re-heat later in the oven....and they'll be fine...[p]Ed McLean
    Ft. Pierce, FL

• BYC
    BYC Posts: 358
    Sven,[p]Two 10 pounders sound like really big butts. I am sure you know but are you certain they were not 2-5 pounders for a total of 10. Just a litle insurance question there. I wish I could find 10 pound butts. As a point of reference I put 2-7 pounders on at 7:30 last night and they are now (9:30) ready to pull

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Sven,
    Got some good advice already. My take would be as others mentioned. Check that temp. If the bone is wiggley and pulling out of the butt then it is done for sure.[p]You can take the temp up to 195-200 without much risk of ruining it. I can't tell you how many I've cooked where I went somewhere, usually church on a Sunday morning and come home to a couple butts that were 205-210, 209 is the highest I remember. Pull it wrap it in foil and cooler them when your ready. Wrapped in towels they will stay hot for a long time. I've got two smaller coolers I use and have found meat stays hot for a very long time in them.[p]I don't recomend going to 210 but I've done it by accident several times and have not ruined anything. Folks ate it, I ate it and it was plenty good and not dried out.[p]Bout the worst thing I've done on the Egg was a brisket flat I thought would be smart to do direct.....Spring Chicken could use that bad boy for his flag stone project if I'd saved it.

• Just put one in foil and bring the other one over to my house!!!
  • Stump,
    turned out perfect, turned down egg and went to get pumpkin farm with my daughter came back and wraped and put in cooler. Pulled about 4pm. Perfect. We have plenty leftover for all week lunch. Cant ever trust the wolf when he says there will be alot of people. Have about 14lb leftover, Holy Cow im going to be tired of bbq by the end of the week