Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bread Making question - Could use some help

Retired RailRoader
Retired RailRoader Posts: 974
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I would like to make a couple of French Baguettes today on the egg but I have a question. My setup would be the usual plate setter in the legs down position with the pizza stone on top of it. The recipes calls for a pan to be on the bottom of the oven and water placed into it 5 minutes before you start baking the bread for the steam to make a crispy crust. What would be the best way to do this in the egg? I am thinking leaving the grate in place with the plate setter on top of the grate and the water pan would be under the plate setter sitting on the grate. Would this be the correct way to introduce the steam for a crispy crust or is there a simpler way that I am just overlooking?
Thanks,
John

Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.

Comments

• BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Retired RailRoader,
    I think that your suggestion would work, but I have also seen recipes that call for spraying a mist inside the oven at the start and after about 10 minutes. It would be a piece of cake to get a fine mister and spray down through the top vent.

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,168
    Retired RailRoader,
    I would put plate setter (legs up), grid on plate setter, and pizza stone on grid. Put your water pan directly on the plate setter........

• Retired RailRoader,[p]This is not something I've tried, but from what you posted, It sounds to me like:
    - remove the food grate and fire ring.
    - fill fire box with charcoal to just above the air holes in the side, leaving a few inches space between the top of the lump and the top of the fire bowl. (I hope you aren't using an XL, or I don't believe this is going to work.
    - place the food grate on top of the fire box.
    - center a pizza stone on the food grate.
    - place the water pan on the pizza stone.
    if you want less steam you could use foil balls to keep an air space between the water pan and the pizza stone.
    - place the plate setter, legs down.
    - bake the bread.

• OOPS ---[p]The fire ring goes back in on top of the food grate and under the (legs down) plate setter.

• 20jan07-041.jpg
    <p />Retired RailRoader,
    try it once without the water pan. i made this cuban bread and the recipe called for something similar... i skipped the water part and i won't tell if you don't!

• Retired RailRoader, I spray my loaves with water once a minute for the first five minutes of baking. Once when they go into the oven and 5 times afterwards. Makes a very nice crust on my whole wheat bread.[p]Rascal

• Retired RailRoader,
    Thanks to all for the suggestions. I will let you know how they turn out.

Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
  • Rick's Tropical Delight,
    Try using a spray bottle to mist the egg. I have done this with success. Crack the lid on the egg slightly and spritz the water in. Do this at the onset of the bake then about 5 minutes later. I have found that the pan and water apply to much steam and can cause the bread to go soggy. Have fun and great baking.

• Pagosa Blue,
    thanks, mon! i wonder if you could flavor the water spritz with rosemary or some such herb? hmmmmm

• EdF
    EdF Posts: 42
    Realize this is a bit late, but that's what we do. Get the egg up where you want it (typically 460). While it's warming up, we put a cast iron fry pan on the plate setter with legs up, grate above it, and pizza stone on top. Boil the water in a kettle, and when you're ready to go, put down the dough on the pizza stone and _carefully_ pour the boiling water into the cast iron pan. Close and go. Works great.