Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Different Rib Recipes

Eager Egger
Eager Egger Posts: 236
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have been cooking my ribs using the 3-1-1 1/2 method found in the Wise One's cookbook. I just read up on Car Wash Mike's method which is well respected here. Another recipe I have heard of is the 3-1-1 method. Is anyone familiar with this one and how it differs from the 3-1-1 1.2 method? I know, its a half hour different :-) I just don't want to get in a rut and love cooking ribs, so I am looking for other methods. Putting sauce on ribs in this area of the country is frowned upon, particularly if it is tomato based, but CWM's ribs look awfully good!
Mike

Comments

• EagerEgger,[p]That is the only difference. The method is exactly the same. Only the timing changes a bit. those numbers are only guidelines anyway so to my way of thinking, there is no difference. I like the ease of not having to wrap in foil so I leave my ribs in a vertical rib rack for 5-7 hours and mist them every half hour or so with a mixture of apple cider and apple cider vinegar (8:1 ratio of cider to the vinegar) after the first two hours of cooking. I sometimes place them over a drip pan filled with the misting mixture and just make sure to top that mixture up as it evaporates. When the meat shrinks away from the bone and begins to expose about a 1/4" of bone end, I start the twist and flop test. Give the bones a slight twist to check for doneness. If they twist easily, then I check for flop. Hold a rack up by either end with your tongs. If the rack flops easily under its own weight, they're done. If it is still fairly rigid, leave them on for another 30mins and check again.
    As for sauce and what is "frowned upon" in your region...I say do what ever YOU want to do. I like ribs sauced and I like them without sauce. Go ahead and sauce them if you like and if you really want to be a rebel...use a tomato based sauce and flaunt your individuality and trend-bucking nature to all your sauceless neighbours. LOL! Now that would be a saucy thing to do.[p]Cheers,[p]John

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    EagerEgger,[p]Here's one that really quite good although it's a little involved. I've done them a number of times and get rave reviews every time and a lot of requests for the recipe. Enjoy.
    [ul][li]Cats Ribs[/ul]
  • Shishkaknob, Your comments on sauce make sense to me. Not sure what that says about me :-) I'll do 2 racks tomorrow and we can sauce one and leave the other with just the rub.
    Thanks
    Mike[p]

• DSCN1606.jpg
    <p />EagerEgger,[p]I like Mikes CWM recipe, you can't go wrong.
    Good Smoken,
    Ross

• Ross in Ventura,[p]I found a 14-1/2 dia. grid made by Weber and bought it. I've got stainless steele stove bolts, washers and nuts ordered. I'm going to try to make a grill extender for my medium just for ribs. Kinda like you did before. Do you have an estimate as to how much space I should allow between lower and upper grids for enough space for one layer of ribs?[p]Thanks

• Ribs3pk.jpg
    <p />EagerEgger,
    Thanks for the kind words. This old pic above was about 10 years ago. I haven't changed up much.
    This pic is a single slab with Blues Hog. I think a key, why people like my ribs.[p]bhribs.jpg[p]Mike

• Car Wash Mike, Well deserved! Do NOT get rid of this picture! It really looks good. Ineed to find a source for this sauce.
    Mike[p]

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    EagerEgger,[p]Blues Hog is reeeeally good. Even dry ribs deserve to get a dip in it. Last time I looked, it was a little hard to find, so I ordered a gallon. I've got a 10 pound butt ready to go, and a quart of the Tennessee Red waiting for it.[p]genby

• EagerEgger,
    Shoot me an e-mail. I might be able to help.[p]Mike

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    EagerEgger,
    Mike,
    I believe so far all of the responses have sort of been the same - but here's a thread I posted a couple years ago as a variation of JSlot's method that works for me. I alternate between this and the 3/1/1 just for sake of variation! As you'll note the basic difference is the faster cook at a higher temp.
    Ron

[ul][li]my ibs tonight...well...they SCREAMED[/ul]
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • DynaGreaseball,[p]I used 4 inch Bolts there not stainless steel and they work just fine.
    I hope this helps you.
    Ross

• HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    gdenby,
    I want to order the sauce. What is Tennessee Red?

• EagerEgger,
    I use the 3,2,1 cooking method. It is great I use Qbabes' coffee crusted tender loin rub for ribs also. Sauce I have always, 30 min before their done at 225 or so slather in sauce, cook 10 min, slather again, do this 3 times and pull off. I love BBQ sauces hundreds but I find myself going back to the same old brand, and now buy by the case. HEAD SAUCE out of okahoma.
    Enjoy RADAR