Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Where should I put my BGE?

Options
AuntieEgger
AuntieEgger Posts: 258
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was wondering where to put my BGE for the winter. In the garage? or on the back deck close to the door? We get lots of snow and ice and the BGE would be more convenient on the Deck but I’m wondering if it would be a safe place to put the BGE. I see a lot of pics with people having the BGE on their decks but I have an awning on my deck and don’t want that catching on fire should there happen to be a flashback or flare-up Etc... [p]Would it be safe to put it on the back Deck or should I put it in the garage and wheel it in and out when I want to cook? Hubby is going to make a table to put it in so moving around it won’t be a problem. [p]Do you think it would be ok to put it on the back Deck or should it go in the garage for safety reasons?[p]AuntieEgger

Comments

• eggfoot
    eggfoot Posts: 138
    Options
    AuntieEgger,
    I have several egg on my front porch that is covered with a roof. I use them daily and I realy dont have any concern but do what makes you feel comfortable.

• Grandpas Grub
    Options
    AuntieEgger,[p]Just follow the safety instructions you received with the egg.[p]Keep a safe distance from any flamible item. As for the awning, I wouldn't think you would get flames 7' tall would you. I might wonder about the smoke from cooking.[p]I am going to keep mine just outside the back door exposed to the elements. Lots of snow and freezing temps out here ahead of us.[p]Kent
  • Dover_Gal
    Options
    AuntieEgger,
    We have ours on our deck, under the Egg cover, and on a grill mat. We intend to grill in winte, in snow if necessary. [p]Check out this Minnesotan's deck. Awesome.

[ul][li]http://www.eggheadforum.com/archives//2004/messages/136227.htm[/ul]
  • mb168
    mb168 Posts: 265
    Options
    AuntieEgger,[p]If you're ok with leaving it outside but also don't mind wheeling it in and out the garage, why not leave it under the awning where it'll be fine but then wheel it out from under when you use it?
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    AuntieEgger,[p]Winter!!! What's Winter???[p]Spring "Living In Paradise" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• EggspertMN
    Options
    AuntieEgger,
    Just keep it outside. Having the egg for 12 years, I just go out and dust the snow off of it, sometimes I need to shovel a path to the egg. Once you fire it up, everything else melts off. With the Egg, there is no such thing as 'seasonal'![p]M

• AuntieEgger
    Options
    Grandpas Grub,
    The awning is pretty low on my deck there will only be about 4 feet from the top of the egg to the awning and it’s that corrugated plastic stuff. My Hubby is going to redo the awning with wood and shingles next spring or whenever.
    If there was a 7 ft clearance I would not have a problem with any safety issues. And the smoke is another issue I guess. [p]

• billt
    billt Posts: 225
    Options
    AuntieEgger,
    mine are in the little breezeway between the house and garage. the mini next to the back door and the large next to the garage entrance.. 7 foot painted beadboard ceiling.. smoke is not a problem in the winter as the windows are closed. paint in good shape after two years egging. cobwebs are much darker though and easier to see.

• AuntieEgger
    Options
    dover_gal,
    WoW I am so envious of you deck especially under an over hanging tree like that it’s absolutely beautiful.[p]I’ve been going up and down the stairs all summer and my knee gets the better of me sometimes so it would be more convenient on the deck for me but with a low awning Idonno[p]
    Thank you for the pics[p][p]

• AuntieEgger
    Options
    mb168,
    The whole deck is covered with the awning. I wish your idea was an option. When my hubby redoes the awning he will leave an area uncovered for the egg. [p]

• AuntieEgger
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    Ohhh don’t even go there Spring Chicken ,, it’s a pain in the keester that’s what it is hahahaha[p]I sure am looking forward to next summer and winter hasn’t even started yet sheesh

• AuntieEgger
    Options

Thank you for your reply Eggfoot
    My desire is to put it on the porch. Maybe I’m just being a little paranoid.[p]

• AuntieEgger
    Options
    EggspertMN,
    Yes I do plan on using it all winter wherever it is

• AuntieEgger,
    I used mine for about 18 mos. under a roofed porch. There was a beam wrapped in vinyl soffit trim about 5 feet from the top of my egg, the ceiling and soffit proper on either side of the beam are about 6 feet over the egg. After 18 mos all I had was a little smoke residue that you could see on the vinyl and is white. I ended up spending some money and getting an exterior kitchen hood to mount over my egg for multiple reasons. When I did I cleaned the stain over where I had been cooking, it wiped right off with a rag and some basic 409 type cleaner.

• AuntieEgger,[p]Many people have eggs outside, under awnings...[p]Fire isn't going to get "up there..." is it? As for heat, if you're really concerned, get a thin sheet of metal from any supplier and suspend it as a heat shield just 1" below your "roof."[p]I bought the metal to install a heat shield, then started using the eggs. I have less than 4' clearance to the soffit, and there is good ventilation. No matter what the egg temp, or how long it's cooking, I can't feel any heat building up "above" at roof level.[p]Again -- I have great circulation.[p]~ Broc[p]
  • AuntieEgger
    Options
    Thank you all for your examples and advise. I do have a metal rain cap I can put on the top of the egg if at any time I’m that concerned about the heat and the deck is opened all way round for ventilation so I guess I’m going to put the egg on the deck. [p]Now onto the next thing ,, naming my BGE hehehehe[p]Thanks again
    AuntieEgger[p]

• mb168
    Options
    AuntieEgger,[p]Absolutely, EVERYTHING must be planned for and centered around the egg!!! LOL :)
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    AuntieEgger,
    well with a handle like that i would go with toto, or dorthy.[p]happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• AuntieEgger
    Options
    mb168,
    Yes of course it’s a part of the addiction. [p]Next ya know they’ll be hauling me off to BGE Rehab LOL[p]I’m hooked :)[p]

• Grandpas Grub
    Options
    AuntieEgger,[p]When you get your egg going with a higher temp put your hand up to the awning and feel if it is too hot.[p]If you are concerned about sparks etc, which there shouldn't be unless you are using mapp for a long time, then get some chiminy spark screening and hang it down from the awning or make some kind of a 'stand off' from the top of the egg.[p]To be extra careful use two pieces of fire screening and off set them by several thick washers and bolt together, then place over the top vent of the egg.[p]Or, to be completly safe use your other option. However, do not get tempted to cook inside the garage or a shed.[p]Kent
  • AuntieEgger
    Options
    Hey I was just telling my hubby that I would like the BGE positioned so that I could see the dome temp gage from the patio door windows so I don’t have to keep running out to check the temp in the cold.
    He was giving me that strange look again LOL[p]

• AuntieEgger
    Options
    Grandpas Grub,
    The fire screening is a great idea. Thank you for the tips. [p]No I would never cook in the garage or shed as there is usually gas in there for the snow blowers so even puling the egg just outside the doors would be iffy with the fumes lingering about. [p]

• Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    AuntieEgger,
    How about "emerald"?

• Mike in Abita
    Options
    AuntieEgger,[p]I really think you should put it at my house. LOL[p]Mike
  • AuntieEgger
    Options
    Mike in Abita, Oh no can’t do that I would miss it way to much
    Nice try though

• AuntieEgger
    Options
    You may be on to something BENTE two good names Thanks

• AuntieEgger
    Options
    Another Great name Thanx Big’un[p]Will add these to my ‘name the BGE list'[p]

• mb168
    Options
    AuntieEgger,[p]Tell him either that or you need a webcam so you can monitor it from a new laptop you need in the kitchen so you can monitor the egg and look up recipes while you check the forum!!!
  • AuntieEgger
    Options
    mb168,
    Ya wouldn’t that go over well……..
    I gotta be careful can’t push him over the edge ,, he’s gota make a table first!!