Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rib Mariande Question

Options
Eggmeister-disabled
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Will BB ribs still be good even though I do not marinate them overnight in some kind of rub or liquid? I have a "hankerin'" for ribs tonight but will have to go buy them, rub them, and then cook them . . .so not much time for marinades if I plan on eating them tonight. So, has anyone ever just bought ribs and went home and cooked them on the spot?

Comments

• Eager Egger
    Options
    Eggmeister, We use to marinate all our ribs, but found we did not prepare in advance at times. So did some yesterday with just a rub and they were fantastic. Put the rub on an hour or so before they went on the Egg and used the 3-1-1 1/2 method. Here is the rub recipe we used, but there are many others that will do fine.[p]Dry Rub: Mix all ingredients thoroughly and store unused in moisture proof container
    Ÿ 1 Cup Sugar
    Ÿ 1 Cup Non-Iodized Table Salt
    Ÿ ½ Cup Brown Sugar (Dried out lightly by exposing on cookie sheet room temp. several hours,
    or slightly warmed
    Ÿ 16 tsp Chili Powder (5 TBS + 1 tsp)
    Ÿ 8 tsp Ground Cumin (2 TBS + 2 tsp)
    Ÿ 4 tsp MSG (Accent)
    Ÿ 4 tsp Cayenne Pepper
    Ÿ 4 tsp Black Pepper freshly ground (important)
    Ÿ 4 tsp Garlic Powder
    Ÿ 4 tsp Onion Powder

• mb168
    mb168 Posts: 265
    Options
    Eggmeister,[p]The last 2 times I made ribs I actually only put the rub on them and stuck them in the fridge wrapped up for a very short period, 2-3 hrs on one and like only an hr on the last batch, which wasn't much longer than throwing some hickory in a bucket of water, lighting the egg, getting it stabilized, add the chips, put on the grate, restabilize while I retrieved the ribs and gave them an additional dusting of rub and threw them on. I do also add sauce in the last hr or so of cooking too. They came out great. Ribs are my favorite thing on the egg, I've not had a "bad" rack yet. I'm proud that when someone asks me now where to get good ribs locally I can tell 'em that I make the best I know of!!
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Eggmeister,[p]All the time. They turn out just fine.[p]Just Saturday I did two sets of spares. Bought them at Costco at 10:30 - they were on the egg by 12:30.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Eggmeister,
    I take the ribs out of the fridge, peel the membrane, season, and put them in the Egg. They come out just fine. -RP

• jake42
    jake42 Posts: 932
    Options
    Eggmeister, You'll be just fine without marinading. If you don't have time just season with your favorite rub, maybe let them set in the fridge for about an hour or just long enough to stabalize the Egg and go for it. I've had those last minute urges too. I've even cookied mine at 350 with great results.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Eggmeister,
    i never marinate, and rub goes on sometimes just before i put them on.[p]i like to let the rub sit a few hours if i can, but no one has ever noticed any difference, including me.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Spaceman Spiff
    Options
    I don't recall ever marinating ribs.[p]Spacey
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Eggmeister,
    Don't ever marinate or brine ribs...they end up too "hammy". Add a little mustard and then add rub, over night or just before throwing them on the grill. You'll do great!

• Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    Eggmeister,
    I have not ever marinated my ribs.You can apply the dry rub and let set for thirty minutes and do your thing.If you do the
    3-1-1 method you can put whatever you like in the steaming stage and I think that will duplicate if not be better than using a marinade.