Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First time Meal

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok, my Large BGE is loaded up in the car and headed to my Lake House on Thursday. Gonna spend Thursday night putting it together in preparation for cooking something Friday and Saturday. Any suggestions on an easy first attempt? I need to go ahead and go shopping before I leave Thursday. Friday night should be quick and easy (chicken breast??), but I would like to do an all day deal on Saturday.[p]For Friday I was thinking maybe some chicken breasts or chicken kabobs. For Saturday, I was thinking about a Boston Butt.[p]What do you guys think?[p]Thanks in advance for the help!

Comments

• Eggecutioner
    Options
    NoName Newbie,[p]I would say do something that you normally cook, that way all your changing is the cooker. So if you normally eat chicken breasts do those. That way you know about how long is should take and what is tasted like B.E. (Before Egg).[p]Just my 2 cents.[p]Enjoy the process,
    E

• uncbbq
    uncbbq Posts: 165
    Options
    NoName Newbie,
    It will have to be a small butt if you're going to cook it during the day only on Saturday.

• Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    NoName Newbie,
    I say jump right in! On friday night after finishing your breasts or kabobs, throw on a butt for an all night cook...then while you are waiting for the butt to finish in morn/aftnoon, prep and make some ABTs. Just be sure to put in enough lump to last all night. You'll do great,be proud, and full to boot! You know that after you eat your first meal on the egg you will want another right away!

• Buzz
    Buzz Posts: 63
    Options
    Chicken breasts are okay, but they cook so fast that you won't get a good feel for the Egg by cooking hot and fast.[p]A great starter cook is a couple of pork tenderloins.[p]Ideally, you would rub them down with some good rub, but even those marinated ones from the grocery store will be fine the first time out.[p]Put in a good load of charcoal, light it up, and stabilize the temperature around 350. Let it run about an hour while you make sure you get the temp right.[p]Drop some hickory chips in and put the pork on. The pork will cook in about 45 minutes or less. Turn it once. DON'T overcook it. [p]Let it rest a few minutes, then slice and serve. [p]
  • NoName Newbie,
    Good advice below to cook something you are familar with. That said, I also agree that chicken breasts cook so fast that you will be wondering what all the fuss is about. I'd recomend a couple of good thick rib eyes, done T Rex style with a bit of Hickory. That was my first cook and my wife thinks I'm a chef. ITS THE EGG! You can look at the Naked Whiz web site for a very detailed recipe.
    best of luck

• Flashback Bob
    Options
    NoName Newbie,
    Whatever you do, after you light it, give it plenty of time to burn before cooking on it (20 - 30 minutes, smoke should be non-existant to slight bluish).[p]Also, Even though TRex steak is one of my favorite cooks, avoid the high temps (over 550) for the first few cooks. (See all the threads about gaskets melting, frying, peeling or "Egg stuck shut")[p]Chicken would be fine or steak tips. Or pork tenderloin. Or Fish. Or Bread. Or Pie. Or squirrel. Slow dog. You name it![p]Oh one thing about chicken - except for beercan chicken, I like it best on a raised grid. So if you're sensitive to smoke, use a raised grid for the chicken or cook something else till you get one.

• All,
    Thanks for all the great advice. I'm off to the store for some pork tenderloin and a small boston butt. I will let you guys know how they turn out.[p]I can't wait. Might even have to fire it up tomorrow night for a test burn just to practice with temp.[p]Thanks again!