Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thermometer after being rained upon???

Options
Peter Creasey
Peter Creasey Posts: 253
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum

I was cooking on my large BGE in the rain. Everything went fine except afterwards I noticed that the thermometer that came with my BGE had moisture on the lens indicating rain had probably penetrated. The thermometer appears to still be working okay.[p]Is this thermometer likely to quit working accurately as a result of this moisture? Should I go on and purchase a backup? Or, it probably okay?[p]Thanks![p]. . . . Pete

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Peter Creasey,[p] If'n you have a tiny drill bit drill a hole along the bottom edge. This will help it drain in the future. [p] If you don't have a tiny drill bit just let it evaporate naturally. If'n it got in it can get out :)
  • edbro
    edbro Posts: 300
    Options
    Peter Creasey,
    Drill a small hole through the back of the thermo at the bottom. Then lay it out in a dry place. Make sure you drill in an area where any protruding metal will not interfere with needle movement (the bottom).

• Just Plain Mike
    Options
    I'd put it in the sun for a day or two and bet it will be good as new.
  • Peter Creasey
    Options
    >> I'd put it in the sun for a day or two and bet it will be good as new. <<[p]Just Plain Mike, It is good to know that the consensus here is that there should be no corrosion or rust from this one event that will impede the accuracy of the thermometer.[p] . . . . Pete[p]

• Peter Creasey,
    That happened to mine just last week and was annoying the heck out of me because everytime I looked at it during cooks, there was condensation on the inside glass causing a blur. My egg faces south but didn't dry out on it's own until about 4 days later. Even cooked pizza at 550 and still did not dry up. I thought these things were tightly sealed for moisture but I'll be sure to cover the egg during rain and snow.[p]Judy