Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

cooking chicken

Marvin
Marvin Posts: 515
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
New BGE owner what options do I have to cook chicken direct and indirectand what kind of preperation and seasoning would appreciate it greatly[p]Marvin

Comments

• Marvin
    Marvin,
    My wife is on a special diet and she cannot have seasoning so If I could see how to make hers and make mine with seasoning and or sauce[p]Marvcin

• Marvin,[p]There are many ideas on cooking chicken in the posts below. thirdeye, wess b, The Naked Whiz and some others have details and recipes on their own websites. There are others and I am not intentionally leaving them out.[p]We always cook legs and thighs for the grandkids and this is a very simple good way.[p]I get the dome to 350° (thereabouts - +/- 15 or 20° is no big deal. Indirect we cook them 15 - 20 per side. Sometimes we don't turn but still use the full time apx 30 minutes.[p]We use different flavoring woods (apple etc - only one per cook).[p]They taste good seasoned or not.[p]Sometimes I simply use lemmon pepper other times or very little evoo then light salt heavier pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and some paprika. Light coating of all. [p]Plain, lemmon pepper or 'the works' all taste great. [p]There are some other popular seasonings which are talked about below, we are about to place an order just to check new tastes.[p]Anything and almost any way one cooks things will taste great on the egg. Everything has been as good or better than one gets comercially.[p]The chicken leftovers are great, stand alone or mixed in other meals - it's all great.[p]Welcome to egg-kingdome, Kent
  • GirlyEgg
    GirlyEgg Posts: 622
    Marvin,
    Congrats on your Egg! Depending on what is meant by "no seasoning", you could "marinate" in lemon infused olive oil or other infusion... I do that quite frequently... Also, some fruit wood chips (apple, cherry) is a good subtle flavor to enhance the taste.[p]Anyway... If cooking pieces, I've done both direct and indirect. I cook at 350 for both... the indirect takes a little longer to get "crispy" if that's what you like. I cook about 6 minutes or so on each side until the juices run clear when poked. If you do direct, you'll probably get some "flame" so you'll have crispy edges - which I like better... [p]If you have a whole chicken, then I'm sure someone will respond with the "spatchcock" method. I haven't done one like that yet (I'm a fairly new Egger...). I will leave that to the pros! Though you'll find lots on the archives in the meantime![p]Good Luck!

• GirlyEgg
    GirlyEgg Posts: 622
    GirlyEgg,
    Sorry.. I meant to say 10 min on each side... regardless... until the juices run clear!

• Marvin
    kent,
    Thanks for reply I did not describe what I was asking.
    What would the best method be to cook chicken which would duplicate roasted in a oven indirect or direct . I am speaking about a whole chicken[p]
    Marvin

• Marvin
    Marvin,
    You have taken my "handle" - and real name. Check the Visitor Profiles.