Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Venison/Elk?

MAC
MAC Posts: 442
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does anyone have experience with venison or elk on the BGE. I am asuuming 'low and slow' but I wonder about the lack of fat in the meat.[p]

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    elkstealplated.jpg
    <p />Mac,
    no lo, never slo.[p]what cuts? that will halfway determine the best way to cook them.[p]have done rack of elk... that was roasted, high heat served rare. leftovers were pan seared very quickly at high heat, straight from the fridge to keep them cold. see above. that was the reheat, with a nice polenta.[p]venison tenderloin we did in a marinade of red wine, fresh sage, rosemary. high heat, roll it around to color, serve rare.[p]the glaze )on the side) was a red currant jelly sauce done on the spur of the moment, so i don't remember the rest.[p]have also done venison medallions. seared with salt and pepper and that's it. did that with red and yellow beets, almost a year to the day. was august first, my 40th birthday, and we served it with a 1966 Chateau Lafite Rothschild. ...if you have it, save it for something less gamey. the Lafites are always too "girly". ..just reminiscing. forgive my showiness. here're the medallions, also with lamb, on the fire.[p]lambvenisonfire.jpg[p]and plated...
    platedvenisonlamb.jpg[p]the beets (you hate beets, i know. but that's because you have never done them correctly. my mom dids beets from a can for my first 15 years. thank god we discovered roasting. try them again. just don't freak when you pee red.[p]beets.jpg[p]...and this is my oldest. we spent my birthday at the beach making sandcastles. the boys pronounced it the best day ever. and they didn't even have any of the bordeaux...[p]Handcastles.jpg[p]the venison is generally more pronounced in flavor. we love it. don't screw it up by covering that wonderful game flavor with powerful marinade. the rib of elk was very mild in flavor. salt, pepper, and stay the hand with anything more.[p]good stuff. and a healthy cook, too.[p][p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike,[p]66 Lafite, nice. I'd have gone with the Margaux!![p]
    Mac, never done any elk just venison[p]I've done steaks, tenderloin and burgers.[p]steaks and tenderloins were both at high temps. I cooked them both at 700 degrees for a two minutes/side and then I shut the vents for another two minutes. perfectly med rare!![p]enjoy

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    utvolegger,
    no margaux, alas.[p]i just went back and checked my notes. turns out the Ch. Laf was what we had with wellingtons on the first. the pape clement we had with the venison on the 6th.[p]never scored a margaux. but did have a La Mission, Gruaud Larose, and a Cheval Blanc in addition to the first two. best was the La Mission, believe it or not..... good stuff, but likely never again! that was for our mutual 40th birthdays[p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante