Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What went wrong with Ribeyes?

carpetman
carpetman Posts: 95
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
First of all I have always Trex'd my steaks, but to save some time tonight I tried a new method. Grill to 700 for 1.5 minutes per side. Shut down grill and cook for 4 minutes for Medium Rare - It took 8 minutes to hit 140 internal? What was the problem?

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    carpetman,
    What did they taste like and what was the problem, took to long ect.? The time? How thick?[p]Mike

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    carpetman,
    what was the issue/ probably used to take more than 8 minutes for the dome temp to drop to 400 when trexing.[p]too many factors... temp of the steak before it went on, how thick, select vs. choice (makes a diff), etc.[p]don't sweat it.[p]my issue with that method for fatty cuts like ribeyes is that the fat renders out with the vents closed and the sooty smoke is foul tasting, has no where to go, and settles on the meat

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • jwirlwind
    jwirlwind Posts: 319
    carpetman,
    I personally don't use the T-Rex method. I always use the one you did for the quick meal. I get the flames running, chunck on the meat couple minutes each side and put the knife to it. I like my steak rare. Eating a well done steak is like driving your car with no tires on the rims. lol[p]Chef Jerry