Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spring Chicken - Egg Table Question

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I noticed on TNW website a picture of the BGE table you built. It looks like you also enclosed a gas grill in the table. I'd like to do the same with my Weber gasser, and I wanted to see if you had any tips.[p]I'm concerned that my table will catch on fire if I but the gas grill inside it. [p]How did you keep your's from burning up?[p]Thanks!

Comments

• SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Morning Smokin' In Tally:[p]He keeps it from catching the table on fire by the fact that he is only using the gasser to hold his BGE tools.[p]Have a GREAT day!
    Jay

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    Smokin' In Tally,
    Jay's right about storing stuff in my gasser. Long story but I'll shorten it to say that when I bought my Egg I only had experience cooking on cheap gas grills. I didn't get a nest with the Egg so I decided to build the table. Only I wanted to make sure I still had my gasser to cook on. The table is designed with a U-shape in the end so that the gasser and subsequent replacement gassers could simply be rolled in.[p]The idea that it might catch fire never occurred to me because a lot of gassers have the tank inclosed. Even so, the tank on any grill is very close to the open flame when in use so it was a non issue with me.[p]I used the gasser one time after I got my Egg. From then on it became a convenient storage place. Eventually, I took all the guts out, including the tank, and expanded my storage.[p]Then I got a small Egg to put in the end of the table and got rid of the gasser (shell) altogether. That was only a temporary measure because I now have a covered outdoor kitchen (almost finished) where the large and small Eggs are accompanied by a shiny stainless steel gas grill with toots and whistles which (you guessed it) serves as a more expensive storage area for my Egg stuff. Here's what it looked like with the two Eggs.[p]BBQCenter2-7-06-3.jpg[p]But if you are thinking of building a table with a gasser in it, mine worked fine for seven years. Personally, I'd just build the table to accommodate two Eggs and be done with it. If you need a gasser you can probably borrow you neighbor's.[p]Spring "A Little Bit 'o Me Goes A Long Way" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• Smokin' In Tally
    Options
    I keep hearing that I won't want to use my gasser once I get fully up and running on my new egg (to be purchased this Saturday), but I just can't imagine never using the Weber.

It's great for a quick weeknight cook. Maybe not as good as the egg, but better than the stove!

Hopefully I can incorporate it into my table without burning down the neighborhood.
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    Smokin' In Tally,
    The thought just occurred to me that you may have been asking what I did to keep the heat from the gasser setting my table on fire. Good question. I mounted some metal flashing to the wood to help reflect the heat. Plus, I built it with a 2" gap between the gasser housing and the wood top. The only time I used it was to cook some hotdogs and although the flashing got a little warm it certainly didn't get hot enough to start a fire.[p]If you look close you can see some of the flashing in this photo.[p]BGEOutsideLeft5.jpg[p]Spring "Flowing With The Go" Chicken

• Smokin' In Tally
    Options
    Spring Chicken,

That's exactly what I was worried about. Your explanation and photo make perfect sense.

I'll try to come up with a similar table. Of course if the Weber ends up as a storage location for my Egg tools I guess the flashing won't be necessary.

Thanks for your help.