Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thinkin' bout a Brisket

Flashback Bob
Flashback Bob Posts: 519
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Never cooked one and am thinking I'll pick one up this afternoon and try it this weekend. I've read the recipes on the Egg website and I'm wonderin if there's a simple way to cook them without making a marinade?[p]I like the idea of stuffing garlic cloves in it, but would like to then use a rub and/or BBQ sauce on it and call it prepared. [p]It sounds like it will be a 250 deg cook- how much time should I allow per pound? Elder Ward's recipe says his 11lb brisket was done in 7 hrs but another recipe says to allow 2.5 to 3 hrs per pound.[p]I want to go as simple as possible and want to know if this is an overnight cook (like a butt)or more of an an all-day cook like ribs (7 hrs).[p]Thanks!

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    2005002310.jpg
    <p />Flashback Bob,
    depends a little on your setup and cooking temps, but mine are done about 2 hours quicker than a butt. my typical cook gets done 12 hours brisket, 14 hours pork for 7/8 pound butts and flats. fill the egg as its the same cook and vacuum pack the pork for later. i monitor temps at the brisket level and maintain 235 at the grate level.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Flashback Bob,[p]Here's the scoop. You can use about any spicy rub. Dizzy Pig's Coarse Grind works well. My favorite of all time is still Elder Ward's rub on this site. Anyway put a TON of rub on it. Much more than you would think necessary. You don't want to see much meat peeking through, if any. Lots of people use an inverted plate setter, but I don't. Slows it down too much. Get your temp stable, stick the brisket on a raised deal like a v-rack or on a smaller grate sitting on firebricks. Put a drip pan under it (I stick a big round pan under it and fill it with beer or juice or part water or whatever is handy). Stick the brisket on the rack fat-side up. Some people say fat-side down, but I'm an upper. Stick in your guru probes if you have them and shut the lid. [p]Now...depending how much fat is in this brisket (not on, but in) really seems to determine the time. You will average about 1 hr/lb. If you're using a guru, set it for 190 internal and LEAVE IT ALONE. Don't peek. If you're doing it by Thermapen or gut feeling, check temp starting a couple hrs UNDER 1 hr/lb. So if it is a 10 lb brisket, poke it at 8. It will sit at 160 or so internal for a looong time. Do not panic. When it hits 190, take it out, wrap it in a couple layers of HDAF, and then in a beach towel. Stick it somewhere where the dogs won't find it...a cooler is a good one. Let it sit at least an hour and eat when you feel like it. [p]A nice thing about brisket is you can cook it hours ahead of time and there is really not a "done too early." You can sit it in that cooler for HOURS and it will still be warm and lovely when you take it out...so start it a little earlier than you think you'll need just in case it is one of those stubborn ones that takes an extra time hit to get to 190. Whether you cook it overnight or all day depends on what time you are eating. Your call.[p]If a panic state hits, post here or send me an e![p]mShark
  • EddieMac
    EddieMac Posts: 423
    Go for it! But no need to get fancy. Just get it, light coat of mustard, cover heavily with your favorite dry rub and away you go! Fat side down, cook indirect, 250 - 275 dome, 1.5 - 2 hours per pound and you'll be eatin' good before you know it![p]I like to foil mine when the internal meat temp hits 175 and it will ramp up to 195 - 200 degrees rather quickly and then pull it off. Keep foiled 'til you're ready to serve.[p]Enjoy![p]ed
  • Flashback Bob,
    I just made my first brisket last weekend, so I am far, far, far from an expert, but, I found the way I prepared mine turned it into a huge success. I had a small flat, about 4 1/2 lbs. and I rubbed it down with Dizzy Pig and let it set overnight in a fridge. Next day I stabilize my Egg (with plate setter and foil pan) to 250. I sprinkled a little sugar on the brisket then placed it on the Egg fat side down for 1 hour. Then got out my v-rack placed it on that again fat side down for 2 hours. Placed it in a foil pan with sliced onion, a Guinness Beer, wrapped it tight and placed back on Egg for 4 hours. It the meat reached 200 and I wrapped it in foil, wrapped it in a towel, placed it in an empty cooler for 2 hours. It was soooooo tender, flavorful and gone in 2.2 seconds. So I will definitely do it again but get a bigger brisket.
    God Luck! With the Egg it will be hard to mess up.