Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

need a little help with cold or hot smoking trout

Options
eggor
eggor Posts: 777
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi guys,[p]man it's been a while huh...[p]I been eggin like crazy, just been using some old recipes and don't eggsperiment much anymore.[p]Is ten months worth of cooking strictly on an egg set a new record???[p]I did bake an angelfood cake in the oven a few months ago, but I didn't really eat it soooo that doesn't count.[p]Anyhow we caught a half dozen or so trout yesterday and thought it would make great snack if I cold smoked it...[p]Any ideas on getting me started???[p]Thanks a bunch and Hi to everyone that I haven't said hello to in a while.[p]Scott

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    eggor,
    I would check into planking. Alder is my absolute favorite for any fish or seafood. So if you don't want to use planks you can get chips or chunks. It will be the best fish you've had, I promise!!

• eggor
    Options
    Renee Attili,[p]i've done quite a few salmon on cedar planks, good stuff!!! was wanting to try something different though. I don't know, maybe the cedar, or alder planks if I find some, will be the way to go. Was thinkin a salt brine though, make them go with crackers you know...

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Scott,
    Thirdeye has some info on his site. Will we see you in Denver? -RP

[ul][li]Thirdeye[/ul]
  • eggor
    Options
    AZRP,[p]Thanks for the link, got it bookmarked, but thought I'ld check into the forum for a change.[p]I'ld say unless there is a major sumthin that I ain't forgetting, yep, I'll be down in Denver... There are a few other eggers runnin around up here and if I can track them down I'll haul the whole bunch down![p]See ya there [p]Scott

• ccrider.disabled
    Options
    eggor,
    I'm glad to see you posting again.
    Hope things are well.
    Charlie

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    trout4.jpg
    <p />eggor,
    I just cooked my first one a couple weeks ago. Just lump, salt/pepper/butter and lemons. Sweet.[p]Next time a few Alder Chips.[p]Mike

• Unknown
    Options
    eggor,
    Can't help you with your question but I'm glad you are still around. I use to enjoy all the pics you posted in the past of your metal contraptions you dreamed up for the egg. I hope you get back to doing that some day, you came up with some really cool stuff.
    Take care.........
    GaryJ

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    eggor,
    Haven't seen Jeff on here in a coon's age, is he still around? -RP

• eggor
    Options
    ccrider,[p]yep, been away for quite a while... if I upgrade services I just might find time to log on a little more often.[p]I've been putting quite a few things on the back shelf, but I knocked the shelf down and get to rearrange things as I see fit now.[p]How you been?[p]Scott

• eggor
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,[p]looks good Mike, getting a few new friends that love to go fishing... catch and release is popular BUT, catch and cook is my agenda!!![p]Scott

• eggor
    Options
    AZRP,[p]Been trying to swing by his shop... He said to swing by anytime, problem is he's never around. I'll give him a call and see what he's been up to. Figure he's just laying low and looking but am sure he's around.

• eggor
    Options
    GaryJ,[p]Thanks![p]Temporarily out of the trade, but I do have a few things working that may get me back in better than ever. When it happens I'll put the thinkin cap back on and blast you guys with new ideas. Promise.[p]Scott

• ccrider.disabled
    Options
    Scott,
    Yeah, those shelves do get in the way sometimes but you find out that you can do without them.
    And I'm just right, thanks for asking.
    Hope to see you in Atlanta.

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Hey amigo, glad you stopped by to say hello. Let us know how that trout works out.[p]~thirdeye~
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Unknown
    Options
    eggor,
    I like your idea, I fish a lot and catch and cook is what I like to. People ask me what i do with the fish, it's simple I release all my fish either back in the water or the cooler yes sir only catch and release for me.
    Good Luck, tight lines and great cooks.
    Jim