Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Low and Slow on the XL

Options
DHall
DHall Posts: 180
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have had a XL for about a year now (in addition to my 3 year old Large) Ive done numerous cooks on the XL but no long low and slows. I need to cook enough butts for 50 folks next week and I would like to do it on the XL. For those that have a lot of experience with the XL (like Celtic Wolf..i know your around here somewhere) what is the best setup as far as how high t ofill the lump how to set the plate setter and what type of drip pan do you use.

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    DHall,[p] Yes I am here.. The last two low 'n' slows I did the plate setter was feet down in between the Fire box and the fire ring. It can be somewhat of a balancing act, but it gives you the most space between the setter and the meat. I put a full sized disposable aluminum steam pan on the plate setter and the grate one top. [p] You have to make sure your fire is going good and that you leave space between the lump and the plate setter.[p] I have seen the Virginian setup and it works well too.[p]I agree you need to prevent the grease from dripping on the fire.
  • DavidHall
    DavidHall Posts: 19
    Options
    Celtic Wolf,
    With your setup is there still enough room for enough lump to get a long burn (20+hours)?

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    David Hall,[p] I fired up the egg at 9:30 or so and shut it down the next day at 12:45 or so. I might have got another 2 hours out of what was left.