Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Shoulder roast

Options
Pdub
Pdub Posts: 234
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So on friday I was at the grocery store looking at the meat section. Thinking to my self, hmmm, I'd like to cook something low and slow today. But butts and brisket are something like 4 dollars a lb. I was not in the position dropp 20+ dollars on some meat. So i picked up what ever happened to be on sale, if my memory serves me correctly it was a shoulder roast. I picked up two roast about 2.5 lbs each, seeing as I did not want to be up all night and was still hoping to make it to happy hour. I rubbed them with dizzy dust and threw them on at 250 dome(or there abouts). I took them off at about 195, overall it was pretty good. The meat was a little on the dry side, I think next time I might try shooting for a little lower in temp. It was not by any means brisket level, but still fun none the less. Are there any other inexpensive cuts out there that I might look at to do a low and slow to experiment with next time?

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Pdub ,[p]You might want to try one of the beef chuck cuts. I can often find them ranging from 1.69 to 2.49 (more towards the upper end recently.) The ones I usually find are boneless. Others here have said they get them bone in, and have good luck making pulled beef. They have a pretty high fat and collagen content. I've had moderate success doing them lo-n-slo, with a really good flavor, but not yet as tender as I'd like. I haven't taken them higher than 190 internal, but at that range had good sliced sandwich makings.[p]gdenby