Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Experience this week end and a possible sale

Options
Hustling Hare
Hustling Hare Posts: 105
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We had some friends visiting from Wyoming for the past 3 days. The man was from Texas but had not had Texas BBQ in many years and this was his wife's first experience with Texas. We decided to do a brisket for them for Memorial day and to show them the BGE.[p]Well, the brisket, about 10.5 lbs, went on about 11:00PM Sunday and I expected it to be done mid-afternoon on Monday. Fire was stable at about 245 when I went to bed and the internal temp was climbing nicely. The Maverick was reading about 200 under the brisket. By morning the fire had ebbed to about 200 dome and internal temp was 145 or so. I pulled the fire back up but the internal temp was stubbornly hanging at the 140-145 range all morning and most of the afternoon. That seems a bit low for the dwell. I did check the thermometer calibration, however, and it is accurate. Under grid temp was still pretty low. I finally boosted the dome temp to about 280 in mid-afternoon and by 7:00 it was finally done with an internal of 195, a really long cook. I think I need to work on my drip pan arrangement because I think it was restricting heated air flow around the underside of the meat. Ah, well, the brisket was quite flavorful and tender and my friends felt it was about the best brisket they had ever had.[p]Early in the cook there was some skepticism between them about the advisability of having a BGE but after dinner they were wondering where close to where they live (Green River) one could buy one. We looked it up and found the closest are in Utah. I told them about the forum, the TNW site, WessB's site, and they'll be checking it out. They were wondering about whether the BGE could stand their bitterly cold (~-35 deg F) winter nights. I told them about thing I had read here that some of you actually get out and cook when it's down near that temp and that the BGE itself seems immune to the combination of dampness and really cold temps. Anyway, I may have made a sale. We'll see.

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Hustling Hare,[p]There is a BGE dealership in both Riverton and Casper, Wyoming. The Utah location might be closer but if they get up to Central Wyoming either location should be able to help them out. The dealership in both locations is Porters. Their web site url's is http://www.portersmvs.com/[p]Scott

[ul][li]Porters[/ul]
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    dsc01238b.jpg
    <p />Hustling Hare,[p]I live in Wyoming and use my Egg year-round. Although I haven't cooked at -35°, I have done all nighters when the temps dipped to -20°. I am careful in starting the Egg and I bring up the pit temp slowly in single digits and colder temperatures. Once it is at temp it performs just like it was the the fourth of July.[p]Tell your buddy to go for it.[p]c77fd891.jpg[p]DSC01171aa.jpg[p]7fc570e3.jpg[p]DSC01405.jpg[p]DSC01916.jpg[p]5753f624.jpg[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Unknown
    Options
    thirdeye,
    Looks like you real close to Sagewood school. Isn't that Casper Mountain in the background. Your egg looks kinda cold. Maybe you should through a cover over it for the winter. Your egg might be covered in snow at least one more time before we get to the 4th of July. I have been here 31 years and you know the old Wyoming saying, "If you don't like the weather wait 15 minutes."[p]Take care[p]Scott