Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Problem with seal!

Options
Bryan
Bryan Posts: 53
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just got my big green egg a month ago. I cooked on it yesterday for the third time. I could not get it upto temperature (650 degrees) for cooking steaks and so I cleaned it out. I fired it up and it only got up to 500 degrees. I decided at about 30 minutes of leaving the vents fulkly open I was going to go ahead and cook on it. I barely opened the lid for about 30 seconds and keep getting flare-ups. The fire seemed really hot more than 650 degrees. The felt was completely melted in one spot. I think I may have gotten a bad temp gage. I has acted funny from day one and now because of it I have to replace a seal. How hard to replace? How often to replace? Are there better seals? I have a little burn hair to prove my close call. I am just learning about the green egg. My father has had one for several years. I love the egg but just wondering about the gage and seal!

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Bryan,[p] YTou can check the calibration of the thermometer by placing the tip in boiling water. It should read fairly close to 212 degs unless your in Denver. You can adjust the gae by loosing the nut on the back and rotating it the required number of degs to get it to read 212 in the boiling water.[p]The gasket is really easy to replace.
  • YYZash
    YYZash Posts: 44
    Options
    It's not hard to replace the gasket, however it takes some work to remove the old one. Do some searching on the forum and you will find lots of hints but basically it just takes some elbow grease to remove the old gasket.

I had a similar problem when I first started out. I called BGE and they sent me a new thermometer and seal at no charge. So make sure you let them know you had a problem.

Good Luck