Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Choosing Egg size

Options
AL
AL Posts: 81
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am trying to decides between an XL and an L Egg. What would be the disadvantage of having the XL if I am cooking for a smaller group, say smoking one rack of ribs?

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Al,[p] Is your smaller group say 50+ people? I have two XL's I can probably feed over a 100 people with them.. I also cater part-time. My Large and small get more use. When my 20+ family members get together.[p]Get a large.. You'll be happy..
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    Al,
    Your going to use more lump. Some have mentioned the shorter distance between the grid and fire as an issue too.[p]IMHO go large. [p]You can almost get a large and a small for the XL price.
    HappyFamily.jpg
    The large/small combo is the universal package folks talk about. Small is great for one or two steaks or burgers or whatever and a lump miser. It also helps when cooking multiple items at different temps.

• Unknown
    Options
    Al,
    I agree 100% with both wise ones. a large is by far a better value. If you decide down the road you need a little more space, buy the small.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    Al,
    i have a large, then got a second small. if i was doing bigger cooks, i would get 2 larges instead, but i can get over 30 pounds of butt and brisket in one large which is way plenty for my needs. the xl doesnt look like it would perform like a large to me, it looks like its more suited for grill space where i like the deep configuration and rounded dome of the large for cooking direct on raised grills.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Options
    Al,
    Get the XL if you like buying charcoal and have **LOTS** of friends. Relative to the large, it eats the stuff like crazy.

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Al,
    I have both and agree that if you've got one egg, it should be large. Th XL is great for all cooks but it is a little tougher to control for low temps. [p]Steve

[ul][li]http://www.biggreenegg.ca/products.htm[/ul]

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• EddieMac
    EddieMac Posts: 423
    Options
    I don't know you..so you can't take this personally....But nobody I know would smoke just ONE rack of ribs...ever...for any reason...If you live alone you'd smoke two racks and eat the other for lunch the very next day 'cause the first one was so danged good.....[p]The large works for me, my wife and the friends that we regularly entertain...If smoking 32 - 38lbs. of Boston Butts at one time meets your needs then the large is all you need....And yes...you could smoke just one rack of ribs...or more than a handful.....[p]Ed McLean....eddiemac
    Ft. Pierce, FL

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    eddiemac,[p] The only reason I smoke two is cause that is how they come in the cryropak :)[p]