Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Transporting large egg

GATOR BOB
GATOR BOB Posts: 11
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Here it is June and I am already asking about transporting an egg to tailgate with at football games.I must be crazy.Anyhow I have a large egg and want to tailgate with it.I do not own a truck.My thinking is to take the guts out and put them in the trunk all cushioned and put the ceramic top and bottom(still attached) in the backseat.Now I have done some crazy things in the backseat but never transported an egg.I would set it up on the stone it sits on now and surround it with 4 egg feet.
I would not do any long cooking but stuff that took an hour or so.My next question is how to cool it down and bring it back.I have seen people put the hot coals in a pail and dump them and I guess that would work but I wonder how long the ceramic would take to cool down. I don't want to leave it out while I am at the game.I drive a 04 Nissan Maxima and sometimes a 02 Altima to the games.I have not done any measuring or have any idea how much the ceramic weighs.I know how much the guts weigh because I take it apart alot.
I really want to take my egg (best friend) to the games.Any sugestions would be appreciated and yes I know I could just get a smaller egg but I don't think Mrs.Gator would allow that unless I could find one at a very very low cost.

Comments

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    GATOR BOB,
    I'm not a tailgate partier but if I was you I think I'd just rent a pickup or SUV for the day.[p]Keep in mind also that it takes a while to cool an Egg down for transport after the game.[p]Good luck.[p]Spring "Feathered Tailgate" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• Buster Dog BBQ
    Buster Dog BBQ Posts: 1,366
    GATOR BOB,[p]http://www.biggreenegg.com/archives/2003/messages/105095.htm[p]Try that link. It has some directions. If you shut it down when done, stay for the entire game, that will be about 4-5 hours in which the egg should cool by then. [p]You almost have to leave it out because the pieces get very hot and dont cool real fast.
  • Poppasam
    Poppasam Posts: 440
    Buster Dog BBQ, Afew weeks ago we did a payback cook for an after hours Chamber of Commerce party. As soon as we could I shut the Eggs down. Soon after I scooped the coals into a small metal trsh can with lid. Then I let the Eggs sit with lid up. Within an hour they were cooled down. I sat the can inside an Egg for the ride home. Work out great.[p]Goood Eggin' to You,
    Poppasam

• GATOR BOB,[p]Let me address the cooling aspect. After purchasing a demo egg at the OK eggfest this became a concern of mine. We put all remaining lump in a metal bucket and added water to extinguish. Then to took a small disposable (aluminum) loaf pan and put it down on the fire grate and added cool water. It didn't take long for that water to heat up and thus draw the heat out of the ceramics.[p]We did that couple of times and on the 3rd attempt we added ice. The internal ceramics were actually so cool after that that we were able to remove the guts by hand. In fact, they were cooler than the exterior at that point. [p]I'm sure there would be concern with cooling too fast causing problems so I take no responsibility but we were cooled down in less than an hour.

• swamprb
    swamprb Posts: 97
    Spring Chicken,
    I think Madhatter transports his LBGE's on the hitch mount cargo rack of his motorhome to and from competitions. You may try that.