Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Quail are back

BabyBoomBBQ
BabyBoomBBQ Posts: 703
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I heard what I thought was a Quail call & walked
to the rear of the yard. I looked around & came
face 2 face with a large male 5 feet away.
Sorry, no pics.
I love spring, even in a drought. [p]So, how do u cook them? ;-)

Comments

• Richard
    Richard Posts: 698
    BabyBoomBBQ,[p]One of our favorite meals.[p]Quail, Bacon Wrapped, Stuffed, Richard
    [p] Ingredients
    6 Whole Quail
    *****OR*****
    1-2 Cornish Game Hens
    3 cups Cooked Rice, Basmati preferred
    1/2 cup Pignole, Pine Nuts, Peacans, Walnuts, your choice
    1/2 cup Chutney
    1/4 cup Scallions
    12 Pieces Bacon
    **SAUCE**
    1 Jar Raspberry Jam 4-6 Oz. or Orange Marmalade
    Dijon Mustard
    Balsamic Vinegar
    Lemon Juice
    Salt/Pepper

Preparation
    1 Cook Rice, Basmati or Jasmine preferred, Use 1/3 orange juice by volume of total liquid used to cook rice.
    2 Mix cooked rice w/ nuts ( pignoles or pecans chopped), chutney, scallions, stuff quail, works well w/cornish game hens, just takes more. ingredients to stuff birds. Use: pepper, salt,poultry seasoning whatever you like for rub.. Stuff birds w/mixture.
    Cooking
    1 Wrap birds w/bacon , may take 2-3 pieces to totally wrap quail, cornish lay 2-3 pieces on breast and cook indirect breast up. For quail skewer w/large tooth picks or something else to hold the bacon.
    2 Place in oven baking dish on rack to keep drippings underneath or place on BGE and grill using indirect method. Bake 325-350 F for 40-50 minutes until bacon is crispy, Start quail birds breast down, and turn breast up 1/2 way into cook. "V" rack works well for cornish, cook breast up with bacon strips.
    Sauce
    1 Mix the sauce ingredients in a pan on low heat, add raspberry jam first. Tablespoon Dijon, Tablespoon Balsamic vinegar. Lemon juice and seasoning. Bring to slow boil and stir; adjust to your tastes. Orange marmalade may be substituted for the raspberry.
    2 Rest 10 minutes. Serve. If Egging be careful not to let the drippings flare and burn bacon/birds. Great reheated next day.

Servings: 6
    Yield: 6
    Preparation time: 45 minutes
    Cooking time: 1 hour
    Ready in: 1 hour and 30 minutes

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Poultry

Recipe Source
    Author: Richard Howe, 05/25/02[p]Source: BGE Forum, Richard, 02/27/06

[p]

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    BabyBoomBBQ,[p]Fricasseed.[p]~thirdeye~[p]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Quailonegg-Feb132007010.jpg?t=1176807212
    <p />BabyBoomBBQ,
    Here's a simple recipe I used not long ago for quail. [p]Took whole clean quail, and cut a little slit along the boneand the meat on each side of the breast. Put a small piece of pepperjack cheese in the slit. Wrapped quail in bacon. Sprinkled Dizzy Dust on em. [p]Can't remember what temp I cooked at (probably around 325 to 350. Also can't remember what kind of wood I used for smoke (but I think it was apple).[p]They were some kinda good. [p][p]

• BabyBoomBBQ
    BabyBoomBBQ Posts: 703
    BabyBoomBBQ,[p]Thanks for the ideas!