Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

WOK Cooking

Options
GATOR BOB
GATOR BOB Posts: 11
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have had a steel WOK for years but since we have had a glass top stove I have not used it.I see some Eggheads using woks on the forum.
I do have some questions.My WOK is traditional with a long wooden handle that can be removed if necessary What kind of set up do you use? What temperature do you bring the egg to and how do you maintain the temperature?I asked the people where I bought it and they didn't have a clue.They also had a concern about working with a WOK and with the heat comming up the sides and burning all the hair off your arm.Failed to mention I have a Large Egg.I cook standard stuff in the WOK like fried rice,Brocli Beef various shrimp recipes and pork recipes etc.I would like to get back to doing some WOK cooking.Thanks guys and gals

Comments

• Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    GATOR BOB,[p]Others have done more wokking on the Egg than I and I'd welcome their comments, but I've probably done more wokking overall than others - some 35 years of regular cooking with it. [p]First, if you want to use the wok, you might contact Tom Vogds, alias TJV, on the forum - he can build you a nice wok ring for the Egg at a fair price.[p]Second, get yourself a wok that fits comfortably in the Egg - the ones with the wooden handle may be hard to work with even after pulling out the wood - you'll probably want to lift it out during the cook and my recollection of that design makes me think that it'd be hard to handle when loaded with food. You want one with two steel handles on the sides and I'd recommend a good cheap steel one that you can get in any Asian grocery store. [p]Third - you have a good point with the heat up the sides - I think that's a serious weakness with using the Egg. You'll need some welders' gloves or silicon gloves or something, all of which makes it harder to cook.[p]As far as temperature - just get it cooking at a good 400-500 dome and you'll probably do fine - of course it changes when you open the dome and you'll have minimal control with the bottom vent, but that's something you'll get used to. Whatever temp it is, its better than the lousy gas stove top that I have in the kitchen![p]On the plus side, you can get much better heat and avoid that mess in the kitchen (I hate cleaning the grease from the track lights!) using the Egg.
  • Haggis, Good point about clean up. Been wok cooking a number of years myself. I have a camp stove that I had used in the past with large burner conducive to wok cooking. Haven't tried egg yet, however, recently procured a paiella pan. 15". Heated and bent the handles up 90° so as to fit in the large BGE. Guy that did it is a pro and it looks nice. Gonna try some wok recipies in that. I have a steel wok, that I purchased in Myong Dong, Soul S.Korea 35 years ago, it actually fits beautifully in BGE on grid, direct. It's a 15.5 inch. Plenty of room.[p]Ern