Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ham Nirvana

Options
RhumAndJerk
RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
On Sunday, I actually achieved total enlightenment in the form of a ham. The ham was from Patak’s. For those of you who live in Hotlanta, you need to try this stuff. Two Fridays ago, I was at their store in Powder Springs and want to buy a ham for Easter. They said that the hams were not ready yet and that I could put my name down for one. This was my first clue that things were going to be good. My wife picked up the Half Bone-In Ham on Thursday to beat the weekend rush.[p]After church on Sunday, I fired up the Large BGE with fresh opened bag of charcoal. I realized that I needed a basic recipe and as mentioned below, I settled upon Dr.BBQ’s Double Smoked Ham. I put some chunks of Sugar Maple in the BGE and used the following setup: Upturned Platesetter, kiln posts, drip pan, Grill extender and the Ham. I started the ham around 11 AM and let the dome stand around 275. By 3PM I was ready to eat the meat temp was at 145. I decided at that time to skip the glaze and taking the ham to 160 like Ray suggested.[p]The end results was one of the most flavorful, tender and moist hams that I have ever had. Even my guests claimed the same. It was also a very lean Ham and the outside had just the right amount of fat to keep the ham moist during cooking. [p]On a side note, maybe someday the Indians can start their season.[p]Go Tribe.
RhumAndJerk[p]

Comments

• citychicken
    citychicken Posts: 484
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,
    you must be living smart. you left cleveland, got yourself an egg and now enjoy yourself. i am, unfortunately, once again living here. eght inches of snow on the ground at 1pm easter sunday. geeeeze! but had the egg glowin...[p]this year hope the tribe can get as hot as the egg doin a sizzlin sear.

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    RhumAndJerk, Patek has absolutely the best sausage in the Atlanta area. Last year at Octoberfest at our church, a guy who worked there was cooking their brats on his gas burner. Unknowingly, I had also bought some Patek brats and was cooking them on a Mini (we were auctioning off a Mini). Several people came up to tell me that "my" brats were better than the other guys. I had to tell them they were exactly the same. Only difference was that I cooked mine on a BGE.

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    markkal123, you got that sequence a bit messed up. Rhum got the EGG then left Cleveland. But you're right, he is living smart. At least the Braves didn't get snowed out. :-)

• EGGOMANIAC
    EGGOMANIAC Posts: 141
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,[p]I wonder why my posts in this thread got deleted???