Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newbie repost : Accessory list

BabyBoomBBQ
BabyBoomBBQ Posts: 703
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've seen quite a few "new egg owner" posts recently, so I thought I'd repost this from last year. I have a temperature control post I can email or repost if any newbies would like. It's not from me, but it's helpful.[p]BabyBoomBBQ’s list of useful Big Green Egg related stuff to clutter your home. [p]Clutter for your egging area:[p]A plate setter or other indirect setup solution. The poster formerly know as Sandbagger, now tjv, makes some cool stuff for this.
Ash Tool
A metal pail for ashes.
A solution for filtering fresh and/or left over lump. I use my Weber for shifting fresh lump and a left over kitty litter pail with ¼” wire mesh for used lump.
Good set of 14” plus tongs or a complete set of Lawn Ranger tools.
A grid cleaning brush.
Grid lifting solution. (I use my ash tool or the hook on the cleaning brush.)
Welder or pipe fitter Gloves. A second set of lightweight workmen’s gloves.
Pizza Stone
A Maverick Redicheck Smoker wireless thermometer.
Extra garbage can to store lump and smoke generators.
Lump lighting solution: An electric starter, MAP gas torch, a weed burner or a chimney starter (makes a bunch of smoke). I use MAP most of the time.
A power draft solution for long cooks. I use a BBQ Guru.
3 or 4 firebrick “splits” for creative direct/ indirect set ups.
A cast iron Grate and a raised grate solution. (Many ways to raise a grid.)
Collection of smoke generators: woods, vines, whiskey and/or wine barrel chips, dried herb stems or what ever.
Wet ones for cleaning hands.
Clorox or similar sanitizing wipes. Clean thermometer probes, let it dry and push into meat to reduce chance of dirty probe introducing bacteria.
Fire Extinguisher. (Trying to be complete here.)[p]More clutter for your kitchen.
Cutting boards: thick and thin foldable plastic and an end grain that’s at least 3” thick.
Surgical gloves.
Large food processor with multiple blades.
Good quality high-powered blender. (Wastin’ away again in Margaritaville…)
Dedicated coffee grinder for peppers herbs and spices.
A mortar and pestle or Molcajete for things the grinder isn’t suited to.
A big roll of heavy-duty aluminum foil and film 905 (heavy duty plastic wrap).
A roasting rack that can be used as a rib rack.
A roasting pan, for turkeys and chickens, large enough to fit your egg size.
A BBQ “mop” and a basting brush.
Spray-on canola and/or peanut oil.
Table top slicer for cheese, hams, turkey and roast beef.
Spray bottle for food only use.
Set of good knives including an Electric Knife
Aluminum ½ and ¼ commercial baking sheets. (I suggest two each size minimum.)
A Foodsaver or other vacuum storage device to save your leftovers.
One and two gallon Ziploc bags.
A Thermapen.
Some good commercial rubs and sauces to play with. I use Dizzy Pig, ButtRub.com, John Henry’s, Emril’s to name a few.
Fire Extinguisher. (Yes, have two at least! In 2002, I watched a house burn down because the owner did not have one.)[p]More stuff to clutter your home.
A digital camera so you can post pictures of your food.
An 18-quart electric roaster oven, Nesco for example, with Buffet Server for keeping BBQ hot during parties. (I use my wireless thermometer to monitor the meat temperature.)
Metal skewers, ideally dual prong. (I have a self-turning kabob device that I have not tried on the BGE yet. Not sure how I’d set it up.)
A KitchenAid mixer with grinder attachment. If you like sausage in casings, add the sausage stuffer attachment.
A source of tried and true recipes: good cookbooks (ex Dr. BBQ), magazines websites and on line forums like this one.
Pizza peel. If you get the wood ones, get two peels so you can recover from one breaking during a pizza cook.
Wire mesh cookie cooling rack for resting pizzas without a soggy crust.
A multiple subject notebook book for making notes. Use one section per meat type or what ever makes sense to you. (To be open about it, I’m still not this organized. I have one, but there’s only one page of sausage notes in it. But it is a really good idea!)
A cooler or two large enough to rest butts and full briskets. Oh yea, they have other uses too. ;-)

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    BabyBoomBBQ,[p]That's a nice list. A few thing there I hadn't even considered. I'd add some sort of software for recipe storage, to complement the notebooks. Also, a wire mesh meat-loaf pan.[p]gdenby