Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What do you use to inject Pulled Pork??

Smok'inCSI
Smok'inCSI Posts: 54
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just found out that I should be injecting my butts!!
What do you all use to inject them with?
Thanks a million!!
Mike

Comments

• Smok'in CSI,
    I didn't inject my last one and it turned out great.

• StumpBaby
    StumpBaby Posts: 320
    Smok'in CSI,[p]
    Judgin from poppas mag a zeens you gotta use won of them sauce age like things with the vanes init eetha that or a milk bone....if i hadda choise id use the sauce age thing i gess....the folks what tried the milk bone didn't look happee at all...prolly cuz they was ruinin a perfickly good milk bone an that aint rite at all....[p]StumpBaby

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Smok'in CSI,[p]It's not like you have to inject them. Heck, I waited 20 years before using injection, of course I had never heard of such a thing. LOL Usually I use Stogies Injection Juice or a variation of. Sometimes I shoot from the hip. The last one I did had apple juice, chicken broth, beer, melted butter, corn syrup and wooster. [p]A link to my injection page is below with two recipes. The Lilly injection is a little salty for me only because I sop the pulled pork with a vinegar, salt, pepper sauce right after pulling.[p]~thirdeye~

[ul][li]Injection[/ul]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Smok'in CSI,
    I'm not sure I'm sold on injecting butts. The last time I did it I created multiple holes in the meat and it seemed to allow the the juices to leak out. My butt was like shoe leather and I've done lots of them before. I'd say rub em and put em on[p]Bob

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Smok'in CSI,
    i used classic coke!!
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• wobin
    wobin Posts: 211
    Smok'in CSI,
    Pineapple juice, apple juice, a little Worcester sauce and a little mustard powder with some kosher salt. Check in Dr BBQ's book.[p]Cheers, Glenn

• Smok'in CSI,[p]I saw a BBQ contest someone inject hot bacon fat into their butts as well as briskets.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    ColoradoTonka,[p] Did you see them win?? I saw a BBQ Competition where the guy bragged about the 32 spices in his rub. Told my son that was about 19 to many.. Sure nuf' he didn't even place..[p] Having said that when I cater or make pulled pork for myself I will inject during the plateau. I will inject a good Eastern NC style BBQ sauce from the top into the meat. [p]I will not inject Brisket before, during or after, cause it's sliced and them holes don't make for a good presentation. This doesn't matter who I am making the brisket for.[p][p]
  • BurntRaw
    BurntRaw Posts: 565
    Celtic Wolf,
    Will not inject brisket? Really?[p]I have being using Fab B lite for the last few and I got to say they have been outstanding and I really have not noticed any visible damage to the meat.[p]Maybe I need to take a close-up photo next time I slice it and see what's there?

• thirdeye
    BurntRaw,[p]Care to share your mixing technique? I just ordered some B-lite. The regular B was too strong and I couldn't seem to get it where I wanted it with any consistency.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• BurntRaw
    thirdeye,
    On the suggested proportions I go a bit more on the lite; put it into a shaker bottle (one I used to use for protein drinks)and it always comes out like a thick gravy. I love the stuff.

• thirdeye
    BurntRaw,[p]I was wondering if you had played around with different liquids for mixing?[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• BurntRaw
    thirdeye,
    Nope; I just use water.

• thirdeye
    BurntRaw,[p]Maybe we'll visit after I do a couple of test cooks with the lite. I've been using a mixture of watered down broth & seasonings with the regular. Plus I really massage the brisket afterwards.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~