Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Time Baby Backs

Options
Jeff
Jeff Posts: 75
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Bought an x-large BGE this past weekend and made ribs Sat night. I cooked them for about 5.5 hours indirect with Hickory chips.[p]They came out pretty good but not falling off the bone like I would like. I know I can either foil the ribs for about an hour during the cook or just add another hour and a half to the cook time.[p]They tasted ok but I really want something better. I just used salt and pepper and BGE seasoning.[p]So a couple of questions[p]1) The hickory made me think of ham. Is there a better wood to use for smoking ribs?
2) Could some one point me to a drop dead recipe for baby backs?[p]Thanks![p]

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    bhribs.jpg
    <p />Jeff,
    Get some Dizzy Pig Rub/Mary's Cherry is another great option. I like to stick to Apple or Cherry wood. I also mist with apple juice/ apple cider vinegar every hour after the first hour. You are going to have to play around with it to get the type of ribs you want.[p]HTH [p]Mike

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Jeff,[p] Get over to Dizzy Pigs and other one or more of their rubs. Trim up the babybacks and remove the membrane. Rub up the ribs and let them sit for a couple hours in the refrig. Get the Egg fired up to 250 dome. Follow the 3-1-1 method. # hours in the smoke, one hour in the foil, and last hour or so in the smoke.[p]Glaze them with sauce the last few minutes of the cook. When you can poke them with a toothpick and have the toothpick come out without any resistance they are done.[p]I like to use Pecan and a small amount of Cherry with my ribs. [p]I am sure you will get about 15 other suggestions :)[p]

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    Jeff,
    WessB and the Naked Whiz have great sites. Thirdeye does as well.[p]I like to use Jack Daniels barrel chips myself. Cherry and apple wood are also good choices. A mix of something like cherry and hickory would be good too.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    Jeff,
    everyone has a different idea of how ribs should taste. i like hickory mixed with cherry wood, mostly cherry wood. dizzy pig rubs and served dry with no basting sauce. i like to drag them thru ken stones happy pappy sauce. every once in a while i wrap them in foil 3-1-1 with honey and sugar and apple juice for a fall apart rib candy. i cook them inderect or direct depending on how much time i have to watch them. best thing to do is try each method til you find one that suits your taste, maybe try them all then decide.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Sigmore
    Sigmore Posts: 621
    Options
    Car Wash Mike, You forgot to tell him about the Blues Hog glaze at the end.

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    sigmore,
    Why do I think everyones ribs will now be as good as mine.
    LOL[p]Mike

• Rusty Rooster
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,
    Don't worry Mike, we cn't duplicate you. I had one at the Atlanta fest. Been trying since. I can get them good and no complaints from thoes that are served them, but still no where near the one you served. I can and will remember that taste and trxture for a long time. When it comes to ribs, you are the maiestro. Others can cook them well, but I look at it like a musician that feels what they are playing. Thanks for being so unselfish with your technique.

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Rusty Rooster,
    Thanks for the kind words.[p]Mike