Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Raging River Corn Chowder

Options
RhumAndJerk
RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This recipe has officially become my go to Sunday evening meal. After a normally hectic weekend and I am tired of eating out or eating junk, I make a quick recipe of this heaven in a bowl.
Maybe NatureBoy will post the recipe. The only modification that I made was that I add chicken instead of fish and I add a splash of Sherry.[p]Add some Oyster crackers and that is all that you need.[p]Good Stuff,
RhumAndJerk

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Thanks Mike. Dang, not made that in a while. You motivated me to go find the recipe. Just might do this tonight. It is a cold windy day. Love your idea about using chicken to totally change things up. I dug around, and found the recipe. One thing new I am gonna try rubbing and browning the fish (or chicken) first (instead of later) then start the recipe by deglazing the pan with the onions and butter....and there is a good place to put in your splash of sherry too![p]Ingredients:
    1/4 cup butter
    2 onions chopped
    1 stalk celery chopped
    3 potatoes diced
    1 tbsp Raging River
    3 tbsp all purpose flour
    Pinch Fennel seeds
    3-4 cups chicken stock
    1/2 pound shrimp shelled, deveined, halved
    2 white fish filets (or substitute can baby clams
    1 carrot diced
    1 red bell pepper diced
    1 can corn
    1/2 cup half and half
    Salt, pepper, lime juice to taste[p]Directions:
    Shake a light coat of Raging River on fish filets.
    Saute onion, fennel seeds in butter for a few minutes.
    Add celery, potatoes, Raging River rub and cook 5 minutes stirring.
    Add broth and bring to boil.
    Add carrot, bell pepper. Cover and simmer 15 minutes.
    Meanwhile brown one side of the fish in a hot pan and remove to plate (partially cooked). Cut into large chunks.
    After 15 minutes add corn, fish and shrimp. Cook 5 minutes or until shrimp/fish is cooked through.
    Add half and half, and salt/pepper to taste.
    Serve in bowls with a sprig of dill if desired. [p]Serve it up hot, and enjoy!
    Beers
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Oops. Looks like I forgot to say when to add the flour. When I add the potatoes and the celery I add the flour.[p]Thanks again Rhum. It'll be on the table tonight!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Buster Dog BBQ
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,[p]is this a thick chowder or soupy?
  • RhumAndJerk
    Options
    Chris,
    To make this a quick meal, I simple slice up one or two boneless skinless chicken breast and just add them when I put the liquid in. I can get this soup from thought to table in about 45 minutes with help from the kids on peeling the veggies. Also, I like frozen corn it seems less mushy. Last night, on a whim I threw in a handful of frozen peas. They added a nice color component to chowder.
    R&J

• RhumAndJerk
    Options
    Buster Dog BBQ,
    It depends upon if I get the liquid to thicken ratio correct. It should be a thick chowder, but is just as tasty as a thinner one.[p]Hope this Helps,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• Nature Boy
    Options
    Buster Dog BBQ,
    I guess it's in between. Some chowders are really creamy and thick. It's not like that. But the potatoes and flour give it plenty of body, so it is relatively hardy. You can adjust the thickness (by adding more flour) or you and tweak the creaminess (by adding heavy cream instead of half and half).[p]I am leaving for the store as soon as I hit the "Post Message" key. Rhum has my stomach growlin just from the mention. Last time I made this was in the old (soon to be new) house![p]Oyster crackers. Good idea Rhum. It's on the list!
    Cheers. Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Michael:[p]Thank you and Chris for reminding me of that recipe and the recipe suggestions . . .