Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

shutting down the bottom air draft

Options
Rick
Rick Posts: 45
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My BGE, large, just arrived yesterday and in looking at the instructions on shutting the vents, both on top and bottom I found the bottom vent will not close completely. The screen closes, but the solid plate stops about 3/4 inch from closing. This caused my charcoal to completely burn up.[p]I called a friend who has had one for two years and he said his is different and does not have the screen but the plate closes entirely over the air intake in the bottom./ Does anyone know if this is the way with the new eggs?[p]RG

Comments

• ab ovo
    ab ovo Posts: 67
    Options
    Rick ,[p]Your bottom vent should close completely. Sounds like a defect but maybe someone else might know the cause. I would try to see if you can see the source of the obstruction.
  • 25nov06_2-018.jpg
    <p />Rick,
    is the tab bent preventing the solid door from closing?

• Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    Rick ,[p]Make sure your sliding screen is INSIDE the solid sliding door. Unfortunately they are often reversed, even by the authorized resellers of the Egg. [p]Its easy to switch them, but if your Egg is in a nest, you might need help to shift it around so you can remove the two slides and insert them correctly.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Rick ,[p] Make sure the tracks are spread enough for the door to slide all the way to the left..
  • > solid plate stops about 3/4 inch from closing. [p] Something's seriously bent or busted. The plate should completely close. Look for a part of the screen/frame that's blocking the plate from closing.[p]
  • Shoe
    Shoe Posts: 67
    Options
    When I got my BGE a couple weeks ago that was the problem I had. The screen would slide shut, but the door would hang up a fraction of an inch from shut. I wasn't sure what was happening and didn't want to force it shut. Eventually I figured out that I could wiggle the door a bit and it would slide the rest of the way.