Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Breaking in the New EGG--Any Suggestions?

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi Folks,[p]I am exicetd o try ou my BGE and had a questons before I start. I was told by the guy at the BBQ store to use a really fatty piece of meat to "cure" the inside of the BGE before I start. Is this a good move?

Comments

• Dave in California,
    I just picked up my Large today...the guy said it would be best to cook in the 350 range the first time or so so the seal will get a chance to seat...so no 800 degree sears for me.

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    1f780560.jpg
    <p />Dave in California,[p]Welcome to the neighborhood. Your Egg does not need a cure. But if you want to try something fatty ... I can hook you up with a few idears.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    Dave in California,
    My best advice is not to use the Big Green Egg Cookbook for recipes... unless you like sushi. You might need to calibrate the thermometer in your dome. I believe it is page 30 of the BGE book though I can't find the book at the momment. I am posting one of my favorite links below, too! It has lots of great recipes but most importantly getting you up to speed on operating your egg![p]Happy Egging, Pharmeggist
    P.S. I am proud to say I got a California girl (West Covina)... we have been married almost 5 years now with another baby on the way. Not to mention my other illegitamate child my large BGE named "Oscar" LOL. You know you have a good gal to leave CA to move to AL moving away from her family there.
    IT MUST BE THE EGG! RIGHT, she thinks my Egg is sexy it really turns her on ;=)[p]

[ul][li]http://www.nakedwhiz.com/[/ul]
  • Pharmeggist,[p]P.S. I am proud to say I got a California girl (West Covina)... we have been married almost 5 years now with another baby on the way (birth control). [p]You know you have a good gal to leave CA to move to AL moving away from her family there.[p]<sounds like a CA gal fell for a smooth talkin AL boy is my guess? MANLAW![p]
  • 2007banner.png
    <p />Dave,[p]Good to see another Egger here in California, it would nice to see you at our Eggfest in June.[p]Good luck with the new Egg...enjoy.[p]

[ul][li]Eggs by the Bay Website[/ul]

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    Dave,[p]I’d advise that you start out with something you are familiar with. This will give you an opportunity to see just how much difference cooking in the Egg makes. Remember when you are converting old recipes; recipe temp equates to grid temp, not dome temp. As thirdeye surreptitiously hinted at in his suggestion to bake a couple potatoes; as an extra treat you might want to toss in a couple fatties or seven.[p]You do not have to ‘cure’ the Egg, but I’d keep the temp under 400* for the first few cooks.[p]Check the calibration of your thermometer. You can do this by putting the temp probe in boiling water.[p]Pick up a second thermometer to monitor grid temp at least for the first few cooks. The easiest way to do this, that I have found, is to use the same type thermometer as the dome thermometer and place the temp probe shaft across the felt seal when you close the dome.[p]Use a good lump charcoal and let the fire develop and the temps stabilize before putting any food in the Egg. If you are getting thick white or yellow smoke, you aren’t ready to cook. What you want to see is only a small amount of light blue smoke, or no smoke[p]If you plan to add smoking chips, do not soak them. Soaking chips came about with gassers. To use chips for smoke in a gasser you soak the chips and then wrap them in foil so they make smoke and don’t just burst into flame. Chips will not flame in a stabilized Egg at smoking temps. If you want a stronger smoke flavor, add more chips or use chunks.

• JayB
    JayB Posts: 14
    Dave in California,
    Welcome to the BGE world! I am a "newbie" too. Since I got my large BGE I have used it at least 3 - 4 times/week. My dealer did not advise me as to breaking it in so I started with something simple- steaks at 750+. There has been no apparent problem from using the EGG "high heat-first use". I got perfect "Black and Blue" steaks. Since then I have smoked ribs and briskers at 220 - 250. I recommend that you calibrate the dome thermometer as recommended. I have also used the EGG with wind chills in the -14 - -20 F degree (-7 F degrees ambient) without problems. Use it in good health! Jay

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Michael B,[p]As thirdeye surreptitiously hinted at in his suggestion to bake a couple potatoes; as an extra treat you might want to toss in a couple fatties or seven. [p]Oooh boy, I had to break out the old Funkin' Wagnalls on that one....LOL. Did you really think those two things in the back were potatoes?? Pssst... those are hog jowls man ... really, they are.[p]Hey Dave, If you don't rush out and buy some jowl to cook on your new Egg, that's OK. Save 'em for next week and smoke them with some trotters or pork neck bones. Heheeee.[p]04e5fd8f.jpg[p]9edd8d36.jpg[p]~thirdeye~ icefishin.gif ... gone fishin'

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    thirdeye,
    Hog jowls??
    I've never seen hog jowls that weren't still being used by the hog.
    To tell the truth, I looked at those things for a long time trying to figure out what they were. I've never seen a potato cut like that before it was cooked, but that's the best I could come up with.
    I should show that picture to my Cajun mother-in-law. She'd probably recognize those and ask what the fatties are.