Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Raised Grate

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Can anyone tell me the maximum height a raised grate can be without touching dome (large BGE)? Found out the one I made is too short. I was going to use it to cook the rib "trimmings but it sat on top of the ribs.[p]Thanks for the "engineering" advice

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    MikeM,[p]I'm not exactly following you here....can you post a picture?[p]When I made the mock-up for some of my home-made egg toys I took height measurements through the top vent with the dome down. You don't want to go too high up as you reduce the diameter of the cooking area.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • thirdeye,[p]I modeled it after the one on TNW's website. It real similar to that one only I used ss carriage bolts. If you need pic let me know. I'll try to get one for you.
  • Sandbagger
    Options
    118_1887.jpg
    <p />MikeM, I go 6 inches above the fire ring. At this height you can still use the outer edge of the grid and don't have to worry about pinching the grid against the egg wall. You could go a whee bit higher, 6.75 inches, above the fire ring, but then your pinching the grid and/or loosing grid space due to the dome's curvature. [p]118_1891.jpg[p]119_1917.jpg[p]These butts are 10 pounds each. I used two different rubs from BlueSmoke on em...T

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    MikeM,[p]Okay, I gotcha. That resembles the "contraption" that Old Dave has perfected. I have a .pdf file which is a series of e-mails from Dave that shows some of the details and capabilities of this design. I will e-mail it to you. I'll bet it helps.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Sandbagger,[p]Thanks for the info and pics. The one I made is only 5" high. That extra inch should do it. Looks like I'll be visiting local True Value Store for longer carriage bolts if they have them.[p]P.S. I made my grate based on TNW's site.
  • Sandbagger
    Options
    MikeM, If you live near a metro area, I recommend checking the business yellow pages for nut/bolt or hardware companies. They do exist. The material choices, stainless, and the prices might be better. [p]Check the link for the kinda store I'm talking about.

[ul][li]fastenal[/ul]