Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2" Thick Steaks Bought NOW WHAT?????

Options
DoverArkansas
DoverArkansas Posts: 9
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have the steaks now what? Everyone on here has something different to say on how to do it. What is your way??? Sear first or sear last that is the question.

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    DoverArkansas,
    sear first
    happy eggin new year
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• I am fairly new to egg cooking but have had good luck with steaks .I bring egg up to 700 with both dampers open.Sear steacks about 2 min then turn same for other side.Then shut both dampers and let cook closed about 4 to 7 min for a rare to med rare.The egg will cook the best steak and is very forgiving. Good luck and Happy New year chris
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    DoverArkansas,[p]Sprinkle heavily with Rasing the Steaks and cook at 375º
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    DoverArkansas,
    Trex of course. [p]but here's another option, which i love and find very helpful with big steaks.[p]remember, searing is nice, sciorching and charring not so much. so how to get to your desired temp in the middle, while still having a high temp sear, but not searing so long that you wreck the exterior?[p]well, we put the steaks in a ziploc, suck out the air, and immerse in the hottest possible tapwater (it'll be around 120-130).[p]change the water once or twice as it cools, and let them warm up for maybe a half hour, forty-five minutes.[p]this is like supercharging them beyond room temp.[p]when they hit the grill (if you like to sear at banzai temps, 600-700 or so) their interior will be 100 or perhaps 105. that means you can sear as desired, maybe a minute and a half a side, then yank them off. you'll be quite close to 135... [p]this gives me a greatly controllable cook for what used to be a bit of a dicey situation. coupla cocktails in you, and you need all the predictability you can.[p]lastly, i find that the temp throughout my steak is very uniform, with just a very thin external (1/8" max) sear of 'well done'. the cross section of 'medium rare' is wider than any other method i've tried. though the Trex rest period is almost as good at warming the meat (as is the slow roast portion of that type of approach).[p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • locolongball
    Options
    DoverArkansas,[p]700temp, 90mins on each side, pull off and let rest for 20mins, while grill drops down to 400 or so. put back on for approx 5 mins. should give you about med. so adjust to your liking. a normal trex, I would only leave on the high temp for 60secs, but bigger steaks, I go about 90 secs.