Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Prime Rib Details

NewvilleNewville Posts: 84
edited 7:56PM in EggHead Forum
Will prepare a 2 bone - 4.9lb ribeye roast for Christmas. I would like to use Max's recipe (turkey sure was a HUGE hit on Thanksgiving) with a little twist (I have had a lot of success with Dijon mustard in the oven - and we all enjoy the crust this makes).[p]Would it be a good idea to sear the meat at 500 and THEN add the Dijon mustard rub after the meat cooled a bit while the egg was reaching the desired cook temperature?[p]At 325, how long would you figure this will need to cook to reach 125 internal? I know this is a tuffy but I'd like to get pretty close in order to give it a 30 minute rest (and hit the family meal time).[p]I planned to set this up similar to the turkey cook with an indirect setting, with a good pan raised off the plate setter with BGE feet, and a little red wine (Vino Tinto Barrica to be specific) under the rib roast that will be raised above the wine on a trivet. I would install this set-up AFTER the searing process. It looked like Max had a similar setup (not sure what was in the pan, if anything though). Any thoughts on this plan of action?

Comments

• Newville,
    i'd go ahead and apply your mustard right from the start .. .that roast shouldn't be at 500 degrees long enough to harm anything .. . also, your indirect set up sounds fine .. . i simply set my roast on the grid over inverted plate setter with a drip pan sitting on the plate setter (a prime rib won't sit so high in the dome that you need a fancy set up). .. .at 325, plan on 15 minutes per pound to hit 125 internal temp ...for medium rare, you don't want it any hotter than that as the temps will still go up while resting prior to carving. . .so for a five pound roast it will only take about 1 1/2 hours to be done. . ..[p]good luck[p]max

• mad max beyond eggdome,
    Thanks Max! Guess I just needed some verification from the master. Will let you know how it turns out.[p]Hope your Christmas is full of wonderrfull memories,
    Kenney