Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Picnic shoulder

Options
Bucky Buckshot
Bucky Buckshot Posts: 100
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was just given an eight pound fresh picnic pork shoulder. I have never cooked one of these and need all the info I can get to do it right. Do I take the skin off? Do I cook it low and slow for pulled pork? Or is there another way to cook it on the egg that would be better. Any help or suggestions would sure be appreciated. Bucky

Comments

• Hasenpheffer
    Options
    Bucky Buckshot,
    I do it pretty much like a boston butt. I don't remove the skin but I do score it (like you would a ham).
    Low and slow at 225-250 unit around 192 degrees.
    Cheers!

• Bucky Buckshot
    Options
    Hasenpheffer,
    Thanks, that's the way I will go. Bucky

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Bucky Buckshot,[p]I cook them the same way as a butt. Low and slow, indirect about 275 or so until they are done. They DO tend to cook a BIT faster with that long shank bone in there but not a ton faster. That skin will peel right off after you cook it. Be sure and score the skin through to the meat, otherwise you wont get any rub/flavor through that thick skin. Shoulders will have a a lot more darker meat in it than the lighter pork meat of the butts. Not that it makes any difference, it all tastes good. Good luck with the cook.[p]Troy
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Bucky Buckshot,[p]I cook mine like a boston butt at around 225-250 degrees indirect. I prefer to remove and store the skin until the meat reaches 150-160 degrees and then cover the meat with the skin to keep the meat moist. The advantage of doing it this way is a nice flavor from placing the rub on the meat (instead of the skin). I prefer the shoulders as the bones in it gives the meat a better flavor.[p]Spin
  • Bucky Buckshot
    Options
    Spin,
    Great idea, thanks a bunch, I knew I could depend on some fellow eggers to help my out. Bucky