Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boston Butt

Gene613
Gene613 Posts: 53
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What is the best set up and temps for a 7.5 butt??????

Comments

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Gene613, set up for an direct coo at about 240. Plan to take from 12-15 hours to reach an internal of 195-205.

• BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Wise One,
    Don't you mean indirect with a place sitter and a drip pan underneath. I thought the butt would be toast after 15 hours direct at 240. Just a thought. Thanks, Tom

• BajaTom,
    I was thinking the same thing. I thought it was indirected with drip pan and all at about 225 but wanted to make sure that I had it right for my wife who will be doing this one tonight while I am at work.

• Wise One
    BajaTom, you are absoultely correct about indirect rather than direct. Hopefully he has not left it on for 15 hours by now. Use of a drip pan is optional - just depe4nds on how much a mess you're willing to tolerate. I will often times just foil some firebricks (keeps my firebrick clean) and set the butt a rack on top of those.
  • Wise One
    Gene613, if someone is asking how to cook a butt, I would not recommend trying to keep the temp at 225. Too many people wind up with a fire going out if they're not constantly checking. 240 is much easier to maintain for a novice cooker and it doesn't affect the cooking enough to be noticed. I just try to stabilize the temp somewhere between 225 and 250 and wherever it settles, I settle.

• Wise One,
    Sounds like a plan I will attempt it here in a little while after I get the kids in bed since the hubby had already gone to work. Plate setter upside down, drip pan, v rack, soaked chips and lots of lump and a nice butt that has been molested!!!!