Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bone in standing rib roast

The Colonel
The Colonel Posts: 87
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Wanting to do a 8lb standing rib roast. Help!!
thanks in advance for all the help
yours in the egg
The Colonel

Comments

• The Colonel,
    standing rib roast is actually very easy to get great results. . .i can handle just about any kind of treatments, just make sure not to overcook it. . .[p]here is a link to how i did one once. ..you may not be able to get the big wrapping of fat like i did on this one, but you can certainly follow the rest of the methodology. .. .we really like it coated in herbs, but you can with anything from salt and pepper to a 'rub' like dizzy pig cowlick or raising the steaks, or a lot of garlic, or any combination thereof. ...and while i like to do the 'sear then roast' indirect. ..other will probably weigh in with roast then sear, or even to slow cook at 250 degrees ....[p]its all good, again, just don't overcook it!! . ..whatever final temp you want it on the inside, make sure you pull it of the egg a good 5 degrees (some may even say up to 10 degrees) less then your final target as it will continue to rise while resting. ...

[ul][li]http://www.nakedwhiz.com/madmaxprimerib.htm[/ul]
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    I'll chime in with the slow cook at 250° until the internal is about 125° and then pull it off and raise the temp up to about 650° and then throw it back on to sear the heck out of all the sides. The searing time will bring the temp up to about 130° to 135° and it will be nice and crusty still from the late sear.[p]ChristmasPrimeRib3.jpg

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Where you been, Mike?!! Drop me an e-mail sometime!![p]Happy Holidays to you and Dee!!![p]Jim & Mary
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    79420bb1.jpg
    <p />Bobby-Q,[p]I've always liked the lower pit temps and the end sear too.....but on my last couple I have been using a very raised grate and cooking them DIRECT with a 250° dome temp. They brown up nicely and don't always need an end sear. The smells of the fats dripping on the coals is fantastic and I'm sure it adds flavors to the roast as well.[p]a3e82544.jpg[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Bobby-Q,
    How long is the cook. What kind of time am I looking at? Don't want it to get done to quickly. Would love to take it off about 30 minutes before dinner time.
    thanks again in advance
    yours in the egg
    The Colonel

• thirdeye,
    This is how I like to do them nowadays as well. I prefer to sneak up on the temp and do a low cook at around 250 raised grate direct. This gentle treatment has given some VERY tender Prime Rib slices. My last one was just over 8 lbs and took 8 hours[p]A few notes though. Cook it bone side down, make SURE the egg has stablaized at 250 before you put the roast on and make sure you take the roast out of the fridge 1 full hour before you are going to drop it on the egg - this makes a HUGE difference!

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    The Colonel,
    That particular one was about 9 pounds boneless,it was a monster. I did it for about 4.5 hours at 250°. It was out of the EGG for about an hour while I did other things and then I went and cranked the temp up to finish it. I let it rest for about 20 minutes when it was done before I sliced it.[p]You have a lot of wiggle room with a big piece of meat so better to finish it early and have to take it off and rest it a bit than to have hungry folks eyeing you up.