Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How long will pork butts hold in foil?

Options
Larry McSass
Larry McSass Posts: 56
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I put them in at 8:30 this morning and will be eating at 4:00...is that too long to keep them foiled in a cooler with towels? If so, does anyone have any reheating ideas if I pull it and refrigerate for a few hours? Thanks!

Comments

• drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    Options
    Larry McSass,[p]They're fine until they get down to 140 internal, then the clock starts ticking.
    If the cooler is pretty full and they were real hot when they went in and you don't peek AT ALL you should be ok. Any of those not the case and you need to do something with them. You'll need to put some heat on them to bring them back up along the way or cool them now and reheat.

Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    Larry McSass,[p]The Good Doc below gave you spot on advice - if you do choose to do the reheat later option, you CAN go ahead and pull the meat, put it in heavy duty ziplock or food saver bags, then place the bags in boiling water later to reheat - I've done that several times and the meat always tastes like it has just been pulled.[p]Good luck![p]TRex
  • Citizen Q
    Options
    Larry McSass,
    Even if you're able to hold the temp above 140 all the way through, the bark will turn to mush. They've been resting over an hour now, that's plenty. I'd get all my chopping and pulling done now, put what you'll need for dinner in deep foil pans, wrap tightly and refridgerate. Wrap up whats left in foodsaver bags if you've got em, or tightly sealed up in freezer bags and freeze for later.
    You'll want to reheat at 350 degrees for about a half hour, either in the oven or back on the Egg indirect. Keeping the pan covered tightly with foil should prevent drying out the meat, but check it at the 20 minute mark and hydrate if needed; spritz with apple juice/cider, cola, or drizzle on a thin BBQ sauce, mix it up good and continue til heated through.[p]Cheers,
    Sean