Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

brisket

Options
Jo
Jo Posts: 26
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Having mastered baby back ribs, I am ready to try beef brisket. How large a brisket should I buy and how long to smoke per pound? I gather that I should scoop the coals to the back and cook indirectly.

Comments

• Jo,
    Scoop the coals to the back? You’re thinking Weber kettle.[p]Fill the fire box.
    Light the top.
    Stabilize at 250-260 dome.
    Place the plate setter, drip pan, grate, and meat.
    Insert a remote read thermometer.
    Close the dome.
    Expect internal temp to stall between 160 and 165.
    ABOUT 2 hours per pound later you should be reading 195* to 200* internal.
    Pull, wrap, and let rest as long as you can stand it. At least 15 minutes. 30 would be better.

• Sandbagger
    Options
    Michael B, I'm no expert that is why I cook brisket just like butt: same rub (kinda), same egg set up, same egg temp, same cooking time lines, same foil process (when I foil butt) and same rest period in a cooler. The only real difference is I pull butt and slice brisket, unless I'm chopping for brisket sandwiches. [p]I'm sure others may disagree but I'm lazy and short on brain space....[p]
  • Sandbagger,[p]If you can remember how you last did something, you're one up on me!
    My kids ask me to cook something "Just like you did it last time."
    Half the time I don't remember cooking what they are asking for, much less how I did it.