Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Keep hot in a cooler?

Options
RittmanRod
RittmanRod Posts: 41
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Turkey gets to temp, dinner bell doesn't ring til 1:00-1:30, saw something in the last couple days about towels and a cooler?

Comments

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    RittmanRod,
    Basically... bag or wrap the turkey (to keep the juices from leaking) and then wrap it in towels. Hold it in an "ice chest". Depending on how long it will have to stay there, you may want to pre-heat the chest with warm bricks, hot water, etc.[p]Be forewarned - this treatment will preclude crispy skin. (It is as if you're steaming the bird in the initial wrap.) If you're good, and careful, you can ameliorate the situation with a propane torch when you remove the bird from the wrapping. If you don't care about crispy skin, no problem to begin with.[p]HTH
    Ken

• BlueSmoke,
    Do you think you could stick the bird back in a hot oven say for about 10 to re-crisp the skin or would that have other negative affects?
    Carolina Wizard

• BlueSmoke
    Options
    Caroina Wizard,
    Might work - I'd be worried about it drying the bird too much by the time the skin got crispy. Besides, when else you gonna get the chance to ignite your propane or MAPP torch in the kitchen???[p]Ken

• BlueSmoke,[p]I don't care much for the propane torch idea. Too much heat in too concentrated an area. but an electric heat gun works great.
  • BlueSmoke
    Options
    Michael B,
    Great idea! Reminds me to put a heat gun on my Christmas list.[p]Ken