Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whole Pumpkin

Options
ArvadaMan
ArvadaMan Posts: 260
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone done a whole pumpkin in an egg? I want to cook a fresh pumpkin for pies and wondered if anyone has done one whole to cook the flesh before I puree it.

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Arvadaman,[p]I've cooked a whole stuffed pie pumpkin in the Egg. I did it just as if it were in the oven, on a foil lined pie plate, on a raised grill with the dome at about 300. I mistakenly removed it when the filling (mostly ground beef) reached 180. Pumpkin needs to get to 210 to be soft.[p]Afterwords. I remembered that in the oven a pumpkin starts spewing gooey juices out the top when it is ready. I've got another that I'll be doing in a few days, because I expect it will turn out just right with a little longer cook.[p]gdenby
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Arvadaman,
    What a coincidence! I did one just yesterday. Cut it in two to remove membranes and seeds (for roasting). I set the top half back on the bottom, and put it on at 350 degrees with a drip pan under. After an hour it was done; the bottom was collapsing from the weight, and held the better part of a cup of liquid.[p]I peeled it warm and put the flesh into a colander to drain, then portioned it in one-cup freezer containers. The had been a Halloween carver with fairly thin meat, so I ended up with only 4 1/2 cups of cooked pumpkin.[p]Ken