Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Burnt a few of the wings...

Options
FSUScotsman
FSUScotsman Posts: 754
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK guys tell me what I'm doing wrong. I did three batches of wings last night, all with my new Dizzy Pig stuff, plus corn starch. GREAT STUFF by the way. Here is the problem, several wings in the first two batches burned. I did the first two batches on a raised grid direct at about 400*. The third batch I put on the grid extender from BGE and they came out perfect!!! [p]The only thing I can come up with is that I was having trouble with the fire. I know that I had a lot of little pieces of lump and I couldn't get the fire just right. I really wanted the fire a little hotter to begin with but couldn't get it any warmer. Other than that I can't figure it out. I mean these guy scorched at 15 minutes!!! I'm still learning but I'm finding it hard to deal with chicken. Beef and pork seem to be either more forgiving or I'm just doing something wrong. [p]Confused here I guess.

Comments

• FSUScotsman
    Options
    FSUScotsman,[p]I'm going to top this because I think it got passed up in some of the more unusual activity on the bb yesterday. I'm having minor problems which I think is just a learning curve.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    FSUScotsman,
    are you filling the lump to the top. i used to have a problem with chicken parts and couldnt figure out why i was getting better chicken off my weber. battled the problem for a long time. now i only fill up to the top of the holes with lump when doing chicken parts and raise the grill as high as possible. i mainly do just thighs now and cook at a lower temp, but it works for wings as well. i never cook breasts anymore, i will cook the whole birds before cooking breasts.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • FSUScotsman
    Options
    fishlessman,[p]Yes, I am!!! I put in the lump to the top of the fire box. I bet that IS the problem!!!! I burned the legs on the spatchcock the other night as well. I bet that if I did with less lump I would have been fine.[p]If anyone else has any ideas let me know, but I'm going to try that the next time around. Of course that makes it harder to do other things at the same time. Maybe this is the excuse I need to buy the small Egg that I've been eyeing!!