Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hot Subject again..Tri Tip's

Options
Char-Woody
Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
With Prime Rib a rare seasonal holiday cook here, Tri Tip is taking its place high on the priority list in beef..especially after tonight.[p]Perperation was the usual ho hum yellow mustard, "slathered" vigorously with the now open palm method of really diggin into it and getting the whole counter yellowed..Well, not quite, but I learned to do it when the wiffy isn't looking. This time I was blank for a seasoning..The brain wasn't selective as I gazed thru the spice closet. I have a small spice rack the runs top to bottom on the inside of the small spice closet door. And its full thanks to all the suggestions over two years.[p]
As I debated the seaonings, picking one, then another,then my gaze fell upon a small sample container gift from a very super nice lady on the forum. It was included with my order of Mrs Dogs Disappearing Mustard, some time ago. I won't tell you who she was..:-)[p]This is a product made by "Bruci's Blend" a "All Cajun" spice company.
I had not even opened the seal on it yet..so this stuff was fresh. I removed it from the closet, opened the seal, and like most seasonings, I wanted a sample taste..Just a tad on the tip of my tongue. I learn fast~!!!!! Wheeeeeeee...This has bite, and I sprinkled it very gingerly on both sides of my Tri Tip. Prior to that, I had dusted the Tri Tip on both sides generously with Mortons Kosher Salt (You can do that with Kosher as it takes twice as much to equal table salt) and fresh ground peppercorns. Then applied a very chinsey amount of this stuff to where you barely saw it.[p]Rested it in the fridge for 4 hours while I nursed my tongue back to health drinking a cold Guiness and watching the Hawkeye BB team Vanquish a rare opponent. Double jeapardy today. Both Iowa teams won..heeeeeee.[p]Tri tip went on the grill at 6:15 pm at 750 degrees, and I mean that is hot..and seared it for 2 minutes per side..maybe 3. Thick meat..takes the heat nicely. Then put on the daisy wheel wide open and shut the lower vent down to a quarter inch crack, and the BGE settled down to a even 400F degrees for the next hour or so. Also put on my potato..( I have a secret method of doing baked potato's now)
Thats another four chapter proceedure later.[p]At 7:35 pm..totally ignoring the Tri Tip the whole time..I opened the dome and saw right off this was eating time..Beautiful mahogany crunchy exterior, and the potato was soft and wonderful.[p]On to the platter..and my Hershner carving knife in hand..it was sliced and the juices..ooooo my goodness. It was overdone to medium stage, with little or no red to the meat, but this baby was so tender, and the flavor out of this world. If anyone finds that little shaker bottle of "All Cajun" Bruci's blend, pick it up. The combination was wonderful..believe me.[p]I have recently gotten the wiffy who hates mustard to accept it on pork and beef with gusto..tonight she ate seconds and thirds of this tri tip..and I was beaming all over the place..heeeeee. She said "humphhhh, this is good" which is a high compliment! Kidding of course...I am, I am !![p]Nuff said..I don't want to make this a long one..heeeeeeeeeeeeeee.[p]C~W[p]

Comments

• DS
    DS Posts: 15
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    If ya have any leftovers--be sure to send them my way?
    Nobody down here has ever heard of this Tri-tip thing?

• DS, pack yo bags and head on up here..I'll feed ya real good. :-)
    Leftover's are becoming a rarity..I had some ribs last night that fell of the bone. I mean really fell off the bone. I picked the bones out of the meat and stored the leftover meat in the fridge. Today I had a first..loin back pork rib meat sandwiches with Kansas City Hickory sauce, and I mean that was a sandwich that would rival any pulled pork I have eaten..for real..Dang they were good.[p]Cheerio..C~W[p]

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p]Sounds like another masterpiece. I'll keep my eye open for the "All Cajun" Bruci's blend, I'm sure I'll find it in the same section where they stock the Guiness :~)[p]I have got to try one of those Tri Tips as I keep hearing good things about them.

• I'm being dense, most likely. WHAT is a tri tip? I am guessing a three-cornered sirloin tip...but here it could be anything![p]mshark[p]
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p]Well told - I have a tri-tip on order if it ever gets here I will try the mustard rub. Sounds good. Did you serve it like a London Broil?[p]Tim
  • King-O-Coals
    Options
    Char-Woody, hey everybody here is the link to Brucie's Blend. The Zydeco is real French-Cajun style.

• King-O-Coals
    Options
    pid_ac-bb-sp.html
    <p />Char-Woody, trying again.[p]hey everybody here is the link to Brucie's Blend. The Zydeco is real French-Cajun style.

[ul][li]http://sammcgees.com/chili/pid_ac-bb-sp.html[/ul]
  • Char-Woody
    Options
    Bob, Looking closely at the lable, here is what it says.
    "All Cajun Food Company"
    Bruci's Blend
    Zedco Seasonings
    Made by All Cajun@Food Company
    1019 Delcabre Road
    Breaux Bridge, LA
    1-800-467-3613[p]Its going to remain on my must have stock..[p]Ingredients are:
    Salt, ground cajun red pepper, ground black pepper, garlic powder, ground white pepper, papricka, papain, and tricalcium phosphate to prevent caking.
    Just in case ya wanta try mixing up a batch..heeee.[p]Cheers..C~W[p]

• Char-Woody
    Options
    molly, Its a section of the sirloin roast that is cut out. A good butcher will know exactly what you want. Mine goes to the locker and lays a big 20 lb sirlon on the block and carves out the tri tip from the roast. Its the very best part of a Sirloin roast, and not many butchers take the time to carve it out. I suspect, if they do, they grind it up for the 90% fat free hamburger..What a waste..heeee.
    Shop around the markets for a butcher that can fill your needs...Its worth the effort...Good luck..C~W[p]

• Char-Woody
    Options
    Tim M, I would guess that would be a good way. Very similar. This puppy had shrunk about 1/3 from the original size after grilling. But oh..so delicious. Great beef flavor. I didn't even use a polder, just eyeballed it. I did a temperature check with my pocket Polder after removing and when it sailed past 160, I didn't bother with a final look..Should have I guess but like I said, it was on the medium well to well done all the way thru. Shorten up the time or use a internal polder for the rare temp of 140 to 150 for more au jus...Cheers..C~W[p]
  • Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p]Those ingredients look fairly simple. I like the one called "papain". From the sounds of it you got hold of the "pain" part of that one :~)

• Char-Woody
    Options
    King-O-Coals, Hot dang..thats the baby..great webpage. Saved to my favorites...Thank a whole egg full..heeee
    Char-Woody[p]

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,036
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Love Tri-tip, looks like its a classic.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    If I had a tri-tip, I wouldn't know what to do with the third tip.
    Options
    I think its called tri-tip because its shaped like a triangle.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I think its called tri-tip because its shaped like a triangle.
    Oh. Right.
    Options
    Air tight. Third tip requires length and flexibility.